Removing Copper from QT

solitude127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40b as my QT tank and I've done my 30 day treatment of coppersafe. Fish are looking great but now I want to remove all the copper from the tank and observe the fish for a few more weeks to ensure the copper isn't hiding anything. So far I've done 2 25% water changes, running GAC, added a Poly Fitler (which is turning blue) and running a skimmer. It's been about a week and my API test still shows copper in the system. Do I just need to be more patient and let the filtration do it's thing or is there anything else I should to to remove the copper?

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40b as my QT tank and I've done my 30 day treatment of coppersafe. Fish are looking great but now I want to remove all the copper from the tank and observe the fish for a few more weeks to ensure the copper isn't hiding anything. So far I've done 2 25% water changes, running GAC, added a Poly Fitler (which is turning blue) and running a skimmer. It's been about a week and my API test still shows copper in the system. Do I just need to be more patient and let the filtration do it's thing or is there anything else I should to to remove the copper?

Before I got a 2nd tank to move them for observation post meds, I used to use Cuprisorb with carbon and poly filter to get copper out.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the Cuprisorb. Great product. Water changes help out. But the Cuprisorb really scrubs the tank of copper. Best part is it can be re-used, over and over again. You just recharge it by cleaning the Cuprisorb with muriatic acid. The stuff lasts forever.

OP
OP
solitude127

solitude127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the Cuprisorb. Great product. Water changes help out. But the Cuprisorb really scrubs the tank of copper. Best part is it can be re-used, over and over again. You just recharge it by cleaning the Cuprisorb with muriatic acid. The stuff lasts forever.

Thank you. It's on order now. :) as far as recharging it, what's the process when cleaning it with muriatic acid?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. It's on order now. :) as far as recharging it, what's the process when cleaning it with muriatic acid?

Info: CupriSorb Regeneration Instructions
1. Soak in a non-metal container with 2 cups of water and 1⁄2 cup of muriatic acid (available with pool supplies: PAY HEED TO WARNINGS on acid container!). This is best done outside and away from children.

2. Soak for 1 hour, rinse well. Repeat as required to restore the original color.

3. Rinse well, add sodium bicarbonate until foaming stops, and rinse again. CupriSorbTM is now ready for reuse.

4. If original color cannot be restored after several acid washes, proceed with rinses and bicarbonate step, then regenerate as HyperSorbTM or Purigen®.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.3%

Back