5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank: IM Nuvo 10g
DT rock: ~10 lb premium nano gulf rock from TBS
DT sand: ~1-1.5 inch gulf sand from TBS
AIO chamber 1: InTank media basket: filter floss pad on first rack, mesh bag of Seachem Matrix (seeded with bacteria + anything that migrated from the gulf rocks)/Carbon/Purigen/Phosguard in the middle
AIO chamber 2: ~1lb gulf rock rubble from TBS, and one extra mesh bag of seeded Seachem Matrix
AIO chamber 3: Mightyjet return pump, heater, and a gorilla crab

I have been having some issues with flow through the chambers slowing down and causing the ATO water bottle to empty and raise the water level/lower salinity in the tank. I am wondering if removal of some of these mesh bags full of Matrix and/or rubble will help.

My question is, will the bio filter from the DT rocks be enough, allowing me to reduce or remove completely the bags in the back? Would I need to remove them one bag at a time, or just remove all of them?

Thanks!

P.s. I think it might also be a good time to clean the return pump, which has been running since January. I didn't find a good youtube video on Mightyjet pump cleaning on first search but will keep looking. Advice always welcome!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I see the pump now, just googled IM mighty jet. It's not the pump in the video.

Looks to me like the front grill will just unscrew to access the impeller and motor block?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, it looks like the entire volute(the front white piece, minus the white square) should probably turn like a quarter turn and pull off?

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yes, it is entirely possible to run a successful reef aquarium without any man-made mechanical and/or chemical filtration. Sufficient mature live rock and live sand are quite capable of fulfilling the filtration duties for a properly set up and maintained reef aquarium.

'Nothing good happens fast in a reef aquarium', so if you decide to remove items do so slowly and one at a time.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back