Removing Filter Pads

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I feel like I should know the answer to this, but I don’t often hear it discussed.

My two tanks are AIOs, and the filter pads start to clog up after 3-5 days. I’m going away for 7.

Is it safe to just remove the filter pads while I’m gone? Besides dirtying the AIO compartments, is there any reason not to? Should I cut them in half so there’s overflow if it clogs?

Thanks!

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are only there too catch detritus so it's not ugly in your water column or on the sand.

Just remove them

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are only there too catch detritus so it's not ugly in your water column or on the sand.

Just remove them
Thanks. I’ve just never done so for a long period in all my years of reef keeping haha

My main concern was all that crud building up in the back chambers and becoming a nitrate factory.

Kyle_bania

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won’t hurt anything. Do a little tube syphon when you get back to clean up the back chamber if you care to

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I’ve just never done so for a long period in all my years of reef keeping haha

My main concern was all that crud building up in the back chambers and becoming a nitrate factory.
Well it will, to a point, but not much in 7 days, and you can just siphon the chambers out, should do that anyway now and then

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back