Removing Frag plugs

  • Thread starter Thread starter PBMann
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

PBMann

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 28, 2022
Messages
26
Reaction score
11
Location
Central Maine
What state or country do you live in
Maine
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you guys remove the plugs that frags come on, especially those with polyps on?
 
How do you guys remove the plugs that frags come on, especially those with polyps on?
Depends on the type of coral!! If it's a coral with a skeleton, those ill pop off and glue in place.
If they're polyps DIRECT on the plug... I'll take bone cutters to the stick out part and leave the plate... I don't mess much with the polyps themselves.
 
Usually you don't.

I'll keep the plug itself, as it's inert rock and it makes mounting the coral infinitely easier. Depending on where I plan to mount the coral, I will sometimes cut off the stem with a pair of bone cutters, giving me a flat surface to press up against the rockwork with the glue/epoxy sandwich.

The biggest challenge with polyp-type corals (zoanthids, for example) is getting them to attach to something. The frag plug solves that problem, so I don't look to actively give myself that problem.

For a stony coral (whether LPS or SPS) it's a bit different. I'll still usually leave them on the plug, but if you want to remove them it's not as big a deal since the coral will actually stick to glue. If you do want to remove the coral from the plug... bone cutters are still probably the answer. A high-speed cutter (usually a Dremel or a coral saw) can also be used to cut the frag off the plug, but most people don't have access to one of those and it's usually overkill.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new