Removing paint from back acrylic. Time sensitive.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I remove paint from back acrylic? I purchased paint scrapers from Home Depot and it’s super difficult to remove it. I’ll have to take a video after posting this thread.

Time sensitive. All livestock removed from tank.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly doubt that it can be done without damaging the acrylic. Might just try sandpaper and go finer and finer grit until you can switch to a buffing compound.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m painting over it with black. I purchased acetone and a magic eraser. Is anyone has other ideas please share.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so nervous. I better figure out a solution soon. Let me try the acetone right now.

Acetone seems like as bad idea as it will damage the acrylic and the blemishes would probably show through new paint. I am not sure if it would effect it's structural integrity.

If you are painting over it then just paint over the existing paint. You can rough it up like you would furniture with a finer grit sand paper to get the new paint to adhere better.

The livestock need to stay out for awhile for everything to FULLY dry. Don't rush. People have killed their livestock when setting up a tank too fast and not giving silicone or such enough time to fully cure. Make sure the paint you are using inside is safe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The acetone and magic eraser worked really well.

Are you positive I shouldn’t use it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 43
OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried spray painting over the blue but you can’t see any of the black at all.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Miami Reef, weren’t you on another thread wanting to paint the “inside” of your tank black? And someone was just on a third thread wanting to put black film in there with magnets. (!?) Not wanting time sound harsh, but if you bought a tank with an acrylic blue background, then may I humbly suggest you now have a tank with an acrylic blue background.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn't be any reason you can't paint black over blue. It will take many light layers though that you need to let fully dry in between.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Miami Reef, weren’t you on another thread wanting to paint the “inside” of your tank black? And someone was just on a third thread wanting to put black film in there with magnets. (!?) Not wanting time sound harsh, but if you bought a tank with an acrylic blue background, then may I humbly suggest you now have a tank with an acrylic blue background.
This tank was built with the house over 12 years ago. I’m going black. I hate blue.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t blame you one bit for preferring black over blue. But I must have confused myself between the different threads/posts. I’m going to get out of your business and wish you success. I honestly no longer know whether you have a painted glass-backed tank with an internal blue acrylic weir, an acrylic tank with a blue-back, that you intended to paint black on the inside (?), or what the heck is going on. :(

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back