Removing sand to get rid of amphidinium dinos

Salty_Steve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So glad I found this thread I have prorocentrum dinos and was thinking about removing my sand been dosing waterglass had to do a black out to get them in line still fighting them reading what y'all been doing for LCA I'm sure it might help me fight my fight

OP
OP
k log(omega)

k log(omega)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So glad I found this thread I have prorocentrum dinos and was thinking about removing my sand been dosing waterglass had to do a black out to get them in line still fighting them reading what y'all been doing for LCA I'm sure it might help me fight my fight
fwiw, i had prorocentrum too along with my amphidinium and a ton of cyano and increasing N and P while dosing silicates was very slowly working on getting the dino’s in check but the tank was getting rough looking and i was losing corals. i was getting real sick of it so i decided it's time to get really aggressive, because if it kept going the way it was, i would have to tear down the tank anyways. what finally did the trick was this: (and i don't wanna get the RIP clean folks too excited here because i didn't actually do a full RIP clean soooo chill on that lol)

I removed a good portion of the top layer of sand. I rinsed it very hard with hot tap water to kill absolutely everything in it. I checked the remaining sand under a microscope and saw very little dinos. They would soon repopulate, however.

I ordered live sand and live rock from a few different sources, lmk if you're interested and i'll post links for you of the exact products i ordered. I put some of the live rock into a bucket with my rinsed sand, saltwater, bubbler, heater, butt load of phyto, some MB7, etc. Just needed to get the sand seeded with life. Left this for a week or so. By this time the dino was starting to show back up and my live rock was covered in cyano, diatoms, and a bit of dino tangled in there.

Then i pulled out most of the rocks, put the fish in buckets, scrubbed my rocks in a bucket of tank water. Again pulled out the top layer of the sand and just threw this out. This time i pulled out even more sand. I'm sure some dinos were left over, but i think it's gonna be near impossible to get rid of ALL of them, just want to keep their population in check. Re-added the first batch of sand that i had seeding with life, and all the new live rock, and my freshly scrubbed live rock. Fish and everything back in the tank. Used new water also, even though i know this is not recommended when fighting dinos.

After this i blacked out the tank for a while. I think 5-7 days total. I kept dosing stuff like phyto, pods, bottled bacteria, etc. After the first couple days of blackout, i ran UV. The thought behind this was that prorocentrum can enter the water column, however they usually don't unless you give them a reason, ie the blackout. My UV was not oversized or anything, i think it's about 9W and i have a 50 AIO, so let's say maybe 35-40 gallons of water in the display. Not sure if this helped but i did it anyways.

Then the live sand came in. I added this and after another day or so i started to turn the lights back on SLOWLY. I'm talking like all blues at 5% for only 4-6 hours for the first week, and it took about a month to get to my current setting which is 12 hours on and a mix of blue and white at the peak for 6 hours. I continued dosing silicates, but in the form of a large dose at the beginning, then small doses spread out by weeks. I added a ton of pods and am continuing to dose phyto.

Since then, I have no dinos, my tank looks healthier and more full of life than it ever has, thanks to the live rock etc. and I have snails again that are thriving. My corals recovered pretty quick, aside from a rock flower anemone that still won't fully open. I've added a couple new corals that look great. I believe this worked because of the physical removal of dinos, and addition of sand with life already occupying the space that the dinos would grow in, along with addition of dino competitors through live rock, sand, phyto, pods, bacteria, etc. I will probably continue regular dosing of phyto, bacteria, and occasional silicates.

Salty_Steve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fwiw, i had prorocentrum too along with my amphidinium and a ton of cyano and increasing N and P while dosing silicates was very slowly working on getting the dino’s in check but the tank was getting rough looking and i was losing corals. i was getting real sick of it so i decided it's time to get really aggressive, because if it kept going the way it was, i would have to tear down the tank anyways. what finally did the trick was this: (and i don't wanna get the RIP clean folks too excited here because i didn't actually do a full RIP clean soooo chill on that lol)

I removed a good portion of the top layer of sand. I rinsed it very hard with hot tap water to kill absolutely everything in it. I checked the remaining sand under a microscope and saw very little dinos. They would soon repopulate, however.

I ordered live sand and live rock from a few different sources, lmk if you're interested and i'll post links for you of the exact products i ordered. I put some of the live rock into a bucket with my rinsed sand, saltwater, bubbler, heater, butt load of phyto, some MB7, etc. Just needed to get the sand seeded with life. Left this for a week or so. By this time the dino was starting to show back up and my live rock was covered in cyano, diatoms, and a bit of dino tangled in there.

Then i pulled out most of the rocks, put the fish in buckets, scrubbed my rocks in a bucket of tank water. Again pulled out the top layer of the sand and just threw this out. This time i pulled out even more sand. I'm sure some dinos were left over, but i think it's gonna be near impossible to get rid of ALL of them, just want to keep their population in check. Re-added the first batch of sand that i had seeding with life, and all the new live rock, and my freshly scrubbed live rock. Fish and everything back in the tank. Used new water also, even though i know this is not recommended when fighting dinos.

After this i blacked out the tank for a while. I think 5-7 days total. I kept dosing stuff like phyto, pods, bottled bacteria, etc. After the first couple days of blackout, i ran UV. The thought behind this was that prorocentrum can enter the water column, however they usually don't unless you give them a reason, ie the blackout. My UV was not oversized or anything, i think it's about 9W and i have a 50 AIO, so let's say maybe 35-40 gallons of water in the display. Not sure if this helped but i did it anyways.

Then the live sand came in. I added this and after another day or so i started to turn the lights back on SLOWLY. I'm talking like all blues at 5% for only 4-6 hours for the first week, and it took about a month to get to my current setting which is 12 hours on and a mix of blue and white at the peak for 6 hours. I continued dosing silicates, but in the form of a large dose at the beginning, then small doses spread out by weeks. I added a ton of pods and am continuing to dose phyto.

Since then, I have no dinos, my tank looks healthier and more full of life than it ever has, thanks to the live rock etc. and I have snails again that are thriving. My corals recovered pretty quick, aside from a rock flower anemone that still won't fully open. I've added a couple new corals that look great. I believe this worked because of the physical removal of dinos, and addition of sand with life already occupying the space that the dinos would grow in, along with addition of dino competitors through live rock, sand, phyto, pods, bacteria, etc. I will probably continue regular dosing of phyto, bacteria, and occasional silicates.
I was thinking about doing the same thing where I only take the top layer of sand off as well and I was going to toss it out and replace with some Tampa bay live sand that comes from the ocean. My set up is a 40 breeder so it shouldn't take a lot of sand to replace if I only remove the top layer. Where did you get your sand from?

OP
OP
k log(omega)

k log(omega)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about doing the same thing where I only take the top layer of sand off as well and I was going to toss it out and replace with some Tampa bay live sand that comes from the ocean. My set up is a 40 breeder so it shouldn't take a lot of sand to replace if I only remove the top layer. Where did you get your sand from?
thats a good idea too. i think keeping the lights off for a while afterwards was key for me too, which allowed bacteria and ciliates and other stuff to spread faster than the photosynthetic dino.

i got the live sand activator package from indo pacific sea farms. comes with some live mud, gravel, bunch of pods, hermits, snails, and bacteria. would definitely order from them again. the live rock i added was the premium stuff from gulf live rocks. if you get any of that rock i’d definitely quarantine it before adding. mine had some aptasia and a mantis shrimp in it lol

OP
OP
k log(omega)

k log(omega)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well for some reason I can't upload the pic
here’s a before/after of mine. the before is from nov 9, after vacuuming the sand. rocks and everything else still looked rough, and the sand went back brown probably a couple days after, then i did my whole tank revamp. second pic is from today.
IMG_5735.jpeg
IMG_5894.jpeg

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any updates here? I am at the end of my patience. I have been dealing with Proro for 2 years. I have tried everything except removing the sandbed entirely, which might be my next move. Silicate dosing is getting me nowhere and my prized rainbow trachys are really starting to suffer. I have been manually removing the dinos, but that only helps for a day and then we are right back to the same place. I have added both live rubble and live sand from Aquabiomics. Phyto 2x daily. Bottled bacteria. Nothing works.

OP
OP
k log(omega)

k log(omega)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates here? I am at the end of my patience. I have been dealing with Proro for 2 years. I have tried everything except removing the sandbed entirely, which might be my next move. Silicate dosing is getting me nowhere and my prized rainbow trachys are really starting to suffer. I have been manually removing the dinos, but that only helps for a day and then we are right back to the same place. I have added both live rubble and live sand from Aquabiomics. Phyto 2x daily. Bottled bacteria. Nothing works.
do you siphon your sand out or just gravel vac the dino’s out?

OP
OP
k log(omega)

k log(omega)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to just get the Dino’s, but some sand always comes out with it,
i found it made a big difference when i actually took out the top layer of the sand with them. i think it gets more of them out and makes sure they’re not just being mixed back into the sand. been doing that along with dosing silicate and basically everything else you’ve mentioned as well. i go a few weeks without seeing them making brown mats in the sand, but i still see them under the microscope, so i figured i’ll just keep going every few weeks with this until either they’re gone or the sand is gone.

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How is everyone doing?

To elaborate on my previous post, I have had moderate Proro dinos on my sand for 2 years. I have tried EVERYTHING: UV, bottled bacteria, adding Aquabiomics rubble & sand, phyto daily, increased temperature, high nutrients, hydrogen peroxide, 6 months of silicate dosing, near daily manual removal and sand rinsing.

Yesterday I pulled my entire sand bed. Let's see how this goes...

OP
OP
k log(omega)

k log(omega)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is everyone doing?

To elaborate on my previous post, I have had moderate Proro dinos on my sand for 2 years. I have tried EVERYTHING: UV, bottled bacteria, adding Aquabiomics rubble & sand, phyto daily, increased temperature, high nutrients, hydrogen peroxide, 6 months of silicate dosing, near daily manual removal and sand rinsing.

Yesterday I pulled my entire sand bed. Let's see how this goes...
let me know how this goes! like i said earlier, i think as i see dinos forming brown mats in my sand i’ll slowly suck the sand out until its all gone. then maybe use some IPSF or aquabiomics stuff to seed some sand for a few months in a separate bucket before adding back (as long as dino’s are gone obviously)

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So far, so good! Yesterday I came home to find he brightest, puffiest corals I have seen in a very long time! A small amount of brown dust was on the glass, but I am still dosing silicates so it could be diatoms.

My Dino was only in the sandbed, but I see no sign of it on the bottom glass or anywhere else. I don’t want to get too excited just yet though.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you post a full tank shot as of today

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back