Removing sand

Landon K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone started with sand and removed it at a later date? I ask because I just started my RS 300XL with 40lbs of CaribSea Special Grade, and with only 2 Tunze 6045's I have to be very careful of where they are pointed as to not blow sand across the bottom. This is going to be an SPS dominant tank with at least an MP40 added for additional flow. I think I am going to have a hard time keeping the sand bed in place. Especially when frags become colonies and I really need to crank up the flow. If the time comes, what would be the best way to go about removing all my sand?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Has anyone started with sand and removed it at a later date? I ask because I just started my RS 300XL with 40lbs of CaribSea Special Grade, and with only 2 Tunze 6045's I have to be very careful of where they are pointed as to not blow sand across the bottom. This is going to be an SPS dominant tank with at least an MP40 added for additional flow. I think I am going to have a hard time keeping the sand bed in place. Especially when frags become colonies and I really need to crank up the flow. If the time comes, what would be the best way to go about removing all my sand?
Not aiming flow towards the sand should allow the sand to remain in place.
If you do remove- Best is to net it with a large fine mesh net to minimize waste and sediment within tank

OP
OP
L

Landon K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not aiming flow towards the sand should allow the sand to remain in place.
If you do remove- Best is to net it with a large fine mesh net to minimize waste and sediment within tank
Would siphoning it out ~5lbs at a time over the course of a couple months be a bad move?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back