Removing snails from glass safely

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any tips? I'm changing tanks and need to move the crew over a few days to make sure I get every one. Maybe a plastic bread scraper? I don't want to hurt the little guys, but they're mostly active at night. Thanks!

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've carefully knocked them off while cleaning the tank glass, using a mag float algae scraper. Never seemed to injure them. I sure hope not anyway. They keep on moving along so I assume they weren't harmed by it.

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try blowing water at them with a turkey baster and use an old credit card to slowly remove them one they are partially dislodged. I don't think you'll really hurt them unless you yank them off

OP
OP
Ocelaris

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I thought the credit card trick was the answer, but try searching for "snail safely glass", it's confounding!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yep I just pluck them off!

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using your finger, just lightly touch the edge of their foot anywhere and they will loosen their grip on the glass. Continue touching them lightly and they will let go. Works the same if they are on rock or some other surface.
If you want to kill them, then just quickly pull them off or twist them off.
I'd never use a scraper, credit card, or anything other than my finger, since those other things might accidentally cause damage to the snail's foot.

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course they let go if you twist them. If somebody twisted YOU in half, you'd let go of everything, too.
The means doesn't always justify the end.

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using your finger, just lightly touch the edge of their foot anywhere and they will loosen their grip on the glass. Continue touching them lightly and they will let go. Works the same if they are on rock or some other surface.
If you want to kill them, then just quickly pull them off or twist them off.
I'd never use a scraper, credit card, or anything other than my finger, since those other things might accidentally cause damage to the snail's foot.
Just curious to know if anyone has ever seen a snail killed by twisting or sliding one off.

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past I always slid them before they could really grab and then took them off. Algae on the glass slippery. Never had any hurt but I suppose they could.

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to slide them quickly on the glass and take them off before they really grab on. Never lost one but it could happen I suppose.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back