Removing zoas from rock

  • Thread starter Thread starter HB AL
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I have rock with a colony of oxides and i'm going to try to frag a few to see if I can reduce some zoas. At least i'll get some practice on fragging zoas that's how I look at it. I wish all my zoas would spread like the Oxides.
 
Definitely dont want to add any crabs to my dt to take care of them, since I have others I like and have isolated. I tried some aiptasia x on em but although quite a few are closed up some have reopened. Edit to add rock wont come out as I thought, its bigger and holding up others. Not gonna sweat it for now, hopefully the aiptasia x will work or will eventually find another way. Thanks for all the ideas
20200110_142146.jpg
 
Turn off all circulation and blast them with a turkey baster full of boiling RODI water. You might have to repeat a few times.
 
Turn off all circulation and blast them with a turkey baster full of boiling RODI water. You might have to repeat a few times.
Do you have 1st hand experience with that approach? As I can move most of the corals in close proximity that sounds like a really simple approach.
 
At 1st I thought I could remove it, that’s no longer an option as the rock goes back quite a bit and is holding up lots of other rocks and corals on top of them. If throughout the decades I was able to eradicate aefw, monti eating nudis, flatworms eating lps, aiptasia, velvet, ich, etc... I will eventually eradicate these guys. ;)
 
Franks F-Aiptasia will kill zoas. Might also kill anything it comes in contact with. It’s a use with extreme care solution.
 
I would put the rock in a large ziplock bag and freeze it for 24 hours. Once done I would take it outside and scrub it with a brush while wearing gloves using the garden hose to get the zoa’s off the rock. Then I would soak it in RODI water for a day and then place it back in the tank.
 
Cooking your rock will take care of them!
No not boiling your rock. Put it in a small trash can with saltwater heater and powerhead cover it so no light can get in. Your live rock will stay alive but zoas need light to survive. It will take some time but that is what it is all about .
 
Cooking your rock will take care of them!
No not boiling your rock. Put it in a small trash can with saltwater heater and powerhead cover it so no light can get in. Your live rock will stay alive but zoas need light to survive. It will take some time but that is what it is all about .
17535404788965023378282926571222.jpg
 
I've been removing some trash palys from a rock in my tank by using a small tube during water changes. I just pull each polyp off the rock at its base with sharp tweezers and suck them into the tube (with the syphon not with my mouth obviously). You definitely should wear gloves while doing this though. Since I'm dealing with trash palys, I've been going the full nine yards wearing arm length gloves, safety goggles and a mask as I don't want to mess with palytoxin. I also run some fresh carbon and a polyfilter after the water change just in case some palytoxin got released into the water. That may not be necessary depending on your tank's water volume, but mine's only about 32-34 gallons so I try to be extra cautious. It may take a few sessions to get them all, but it seems to work when you can't remove the rock from the tank.
Been looking at doing this, I know this is an old post but I have a rock I cannot remove and have a bunch of zoas that need to go. I was thinking of cutting off the head with some stainless steel cutters and syphon around as I cut.

I do have a skimmer, I can run carbon when doing this.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 32.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new