Renovations with established tank in room

Taki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings

I wanted to place my Waterbox 110 in the corner where the cinder blocks are, the wall behind it is where my water station and fish room is. The blocks hold up a fireplace right above, that also needs to go. Also, I didn't realize how hard it would be to find a contractor on short notice during the holidays. So the tank needs to go on the opposite side of this small room in the basement. Too bad. The tank will probably be empty of livestock, just cycling live rock and sand, maybe 1 fish.

Can I get away with sectioning off the tank area with plastic sheets and duct tape? 98035AB7-B2CD-4A43-BFC3-6A49A335969E.jpeg

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if not set up yet it would make a lot of sense to wait until renovation is over. you could start the rock cycling in a brute somewhere else. there is no way to tell what will be found once things get started, you could have all kinds of things in the dust, you could run into power outages, contractors have been known to be careless of their surroundings, there might be reasons why the exact place you put the tank is needed for something. the aerosols of the reconstruction materials could be an issue. what a bummer!

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a thriving 120DT in my 2200sf basement for several years as I did a complete finishing, including DryLoc on the walls, epoxy on the floor, then 2x4 studs, insulation and drywall. Finished with carpet for about 1/2, tile in her craft room, drop ceiling, etc. I never covered it at all. I'm pretty sure the drywall dust helped the corals!

If you use reasonable precautions all will be just fine. If there's gonna be volatile fumes, carbon in a reactor can't hurt.

OP
OP
T

Taki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a thriving 120DT in my 2200sf basement for several years as I did a complete finishing, including DryLoc on the walls, epoxy on the floor, then 2x4 studs, insulation and drywall. Finished with carpet for about 1/2, tile in her craft room, drop ceiling, etc. I never covered it at all. I'm pretty sure the drywall dust helped the corals!

If you use reasonable precautions all will be just fine. If there's gonna be volatile fumes, carbon in a reactor can't hurt.
Great info. I assume the tank remained in the same position the whole time?

OP
OP
T

Taki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Great info. I assume your tank remained in the same position the whole time?

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info. I assume your tank remained in the same position the whole time?
I had to move it once, but only about 6' so I could epoxy the floor under it. That area eventually became my wood shop.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have to tear in down to move it?
It wasn't easy, but with the water and some of the easily removable rocks out, two of us slid it on the stand to it's new spot. For once I was very happy that I had over-built the stand by a long shot! I just put the rocks back in and refilled it. All told, maybe 30 minutes.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back