Repairing black trim on RSM250?

bokaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.

I'm a long time lurker and first time poster, so if this isn't in the proper area please let me know and I'll fix it as soon as I'm able.

I've acquired a Red Sea Max 250 for trade. It was really dirty and it took me a while to clean, but as I was cleaning things I noticed that the black trim on the rounded corners of the tank are cracked. 3 out of the 4 corners, actually. I have emailed Red Sea and they have informed me that the black trim *is* structural. But also suggested I fill it for the weekend and see if it holds water. It does! But it's making me a complete cluster-brained, because all I can imagine is this tank bursting and flooding my Livingroom. So my question is this:

Would using a custom length of zip-tie around the outside of the rim help hold it in place? I know this is far fetched, but I'm just trying to work with what I have.

Would using an epoxy be safe? Or a combination of the two? I don't want it to look too trashy. But I don't want to have a 200 pound paper weight. Ha.

Red Sea informed me they sell replacement tanks for the Red Sea Max 250, and I'm waiting for a price quote. Regardless, I got this for trade and got completely burned and I'm really disappointed and sad about it. I've been out of the hobby for 10 years and just wanted to get a slice of ocean back into my life. Any opinions and suggestions would be amazing. Thanks so much for your time.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.

I'm a long time lurker and first time poster, so if this isn't in the proper area please let me know and I'll fix it as soon as I'm able.

I've acquired a Red Sea Max 250 for trade. It was really dirty and it took me a while to clean, but as I was cleaning things I noticed that the black trim on the rounded corners of the tank are cracked. 3 out of the 4 corners, actually. I have emailed Red Sea and they have informed me that the black trim *is* structural. But also suggested I fill it for the weekend and see if it holds water. It does! But it's making me a complete cluster-brained, because all I can imagine is this tank bursting and flooding my Livingroom. So my question is this:

Would using a custom length of zip-tie around the outside of the rim help hold it in place? I know this is far fetched, but I'm just trying to work with what I have.

Would using an epoxy be safe? Or a combination of the two? I don't want it to look too trashy. But I don't want to have a 200 pound paper weight. Ha.

Red Sea informed me they sell replacement tanks for the Red Sea Max 250, and I'm waiting for a price quote. Regardless, I got this for trade and got completely burned and I'm really disappointed and sad about it. I've been out of the hobby for 10 years and just wanted to get a slice of ocean back into my life. Any opinions and suggestions would be amazing. Thanks so much for your time.

Welcome to Reef 2 Reef!

Sorry that you were wronged in the deal.

I took my 2010 Red Sea 130 rimless and it was still strong, but the 250 is a lot bigger.

Question:
Is your glass one piece with rounded corners or three sheets of glass with straight right angle corners?

OP
OP
B

bokaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef 2 Reef!

Sorry that you were wronged in the deal.

I took my 2010 Red Sea 130 rimless and it was still strong, but the 250 is a lot bigger.

Question:
Is your glass one piece with rounded corners or three sheets of glass with straight right angle corners?
Hello!
Thanks for your reply. I have the one with the one piece with rounded corners. :)

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
Thanks for your reply. I have the one with the one piece with rounded corners. :)

Yeah,
That's the regular/original 250. The later 250-C had three sheets of glass. Wonder if a 250-C tank would still fit your hood?

This may do the job

It sure boned together my live rock and was working underwater

OP
OP
B

bokaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah,
That's the regular/original 250. The later 250-C had three sheets of glass. Wonder if a 250-C tank would still fit your hood?

This may do the job

I was thinking of something like this, or epoxy. I just wasn't sure if it would withstand the pressure of the tank's 660 pounds of water? It doesn't need to really work underwater since the cracks are on the outside edges. This is why I thought about using a black custom length zip-tie. lol Or maybe a combination of the two. The bottom part of the frame is a couple millimeters separated from the curve of the glass as well as cracked. I'm not sure if that gap is okay? SO many questions.

The Red Sea reprehensive told me they sell replacement tanks for my series of Red Sea. I asked about the price and I'm waiting to hear back. I'm just bummed because I made this trading thinking 'Oh, cool. I can get my tank for zero cash, and then spend that cash to get it cycled and get some livestock'. But here I am. Hopefully the tank is not too much and I get snag a new one. But I'm assuming it'll cost over 500 USD. Which would use the money for everything else. Anyway, I digress.

I truly appreciate your time and your willingness to reply to my post. I was afraid I would get no replies, as I couldn't find any on Google after a few hours of digging. Thank you!

OP
OP
B

bokaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I think I've decided to go ahead and not try to salvage this aquarium. I don't think it's smart to risk such a vast amount of water. I believe I have my heart settled on a Waterbox MarineX 90.3. I'll just convert the RSM250 to a bio-active vivarium and get dart frogs. Then I can have a slice of ocean, and a slice of rain forest in my home.

Yeah,

This may do the job

But thank you for the help, GoVols. I appreciate it and your time. I'll be back to the forums when I get my Waterbox! :D

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 49 25.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 44 22.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back