Replace Foam media with Polyfill on Aquaclear?

305rob305

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 60g Fish Only with artificial inserts. I use an Aquaclear 110 with a sponge, polyfill, and biomax media. My tank is only 1 month old and the sponge is clean but it keeps rising inside the filter pushing my bio media out. Should I just remove the foam and just run lots of polyfill and my bio media on top? Will this be enough? Just yesterday I tested my water and it's perfect, all parameters.

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you switch the sponge and media around so it's not pushed out?

I've switched my sponge to polyfill and have noticed that I get a reduced flow through the filter cup, so that's something to consider if you try the swap-out.

OP
OP

305rob305

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you switch the sponge and media around so it's not pushed out?

I've switched my sponge to polyfill and have noticed that I get a reduced flow through the filter cup, so that's something to consider if you try the swap-out.
Do you mean polyfill in the bottom, sponge in the middle, and biomedia in the top? Maybe the sponge is not needed if we run polyfill and biomedia... Do you use a skimmer? I don't but was thinking of a reef octopus 2000

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean polyfill in the bottom, sponge in the middle, and biomedia in the top? Maybe the sponge is not needed if we run polyfill and biomedia...
Sorry; I don't know your setup so am not sure what the order would be. It just sounded like the sponge was "floating", so if it were shifted to the top of the stack, perhaps that floating wouldn't impact anything... No idea, however.

Do you use a skimmer? I don't but was thinking of a reef octopus 2000
I do. I run a 525XL (~150gal tank) and have a Bubble Magus Curve 7. Reef Octopus has a solid rep for skimmers.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back