Replace Red Sea 130 media rack with reactor

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RSM C-130. I'm currently using the media rack with a bag of carbon and a bag of phosguard. I don't know how efficient this really is. Is water flowing around it or through it.

I was thinking about using this reactor. I bought it a while ago but never used it. I can mix the phosguard and carbon or buy Seachem Seagel. I think it would be more effective.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/cpr-nano-tumbler-media-reactor.html

divermike_99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RSM C-130. I'm currently using the media rack with a bag of carbon and a bag of phosguard. I don't know how efficient this really is. Is water flowing around it or through it.

I was thinking about using this reactor. I bought it a while ago but never used it. I can mix the phosguard and carbon or buy Seachem Seagel. I think it would be more effective.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/cpr-nano-tumbler-media-reactor.html
Just in my humble opinion most of the water flow is going around the media and from what I understand when you use the reactor you should not mix gfo and carbon

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just in my humble opinion most of the water flow is going around the media and from what I understand when you use the reactor you should not mix gfo and carbon
Not GFO, phosguard. Seachem actually sells Seagel which is premixed carbon and phosguard

divermike_99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not GFO, phosguard. Seachem actually sells Seagel which is premixed carbon and phosguard
Sorry my bad but I think if you tumble in that reactor you should get good results just by gaining a good flow through the material instead of around the surface when you put the media on the rack, I have faced the same thing with the filtration on my biocube and always looking for a better way to attack the filtration issues with a all in one

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a solution. This media reactor actually fits on the stock media rack perfectly. This works great for a few reasons. The reactor is pretty small so it is really far down. The only way to get it out is by "fishing" it out by the cord. Also, It was stirring up sand in the bottom of the sump chamber. By removing the top 2 shelves, the reactor top is above the water level slightly (so I can tell if it is clogged or not), I can pull it up to change the media by raising the media rack, it is off the bottom of the sump chamber, and I have 2 shelves left to put a bag of purigen, etc.
FB_IMG_1545785064115.jpeg
FB_IMG_1545785055148.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back