Replaceing the back tempered glass with non tempered glass.

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys,
So i have a aquatop recife 40 gallon cube reef tank AIO system and i recently purchased a new sump to replace the AIO back unit. i want to add a sump so i called the manufacture to see if i can drill the glass to attach a overflow i bought from BRS. they said no its not drill able so i guess its tempered? so i went to the local glass shop and had them make me a piece of glass to replace the back and for them to drill holes in it for the overflow. Cube back glass panel is 21.7 inches by 21.7 inches. its also 8 mm thick .314inches. the glass i got is 22 by 22 and .25 inches thick. it was a piece they already had and was cheaper then to get one cut exaclty to that size will this be a problem ? i doubt the width and length being 00.4 inches bigger would matter much but is the thickness .25 too thin for a 40 gallon tank ? as i said the orginal glass was .314 8mm?

OP
OP
rapid

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1575470004059.png

according to this site it should be fine thickness?

Capture.PNG

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replacing a thicker tempered glass panel w/ a thinner, and weaker, non-tempered piece just smells problematic..

Estimate w/ normal safety factor is about .29" though
.25 has a rough safety factor of 2.9...........................

8mm NON-tempered safety factor would be around 4.6..

NOTE corrected figure..had the wrong mm at first.

Bottom line.. orig is "technically" overbuilt, modifications as proposed will be less safe than "standard" How much is determined by a more exact measurement...

you could eurobrace the top but for the cost of the extra glass it would make more sense just to buy a thicker panel.

Note MOST calculators assume 3.8 as recommended safety factor,

Last edited:

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The real pain will be getting the trim off and I agree with this ^^^

OP
OP
rapid

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes so as soon as i brought home the glass from the shop. IT BROKE. Freaking bumped it off of the car door so i guess something was telling me dont do it dont do it!! lol So i bought the hang on back over flow with aqua lifer ....... shoulda just bought a new tank lol :) oh well ......

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%

Back