Replacement LED - SBREEF SBAR

ReeferLou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, Just looking for some input on where to buy replacement LED. I have a 48" Actinic SBAR that uses 450nm and 420nm LED. I believe I fried 6 or so of the 450nm royal blue LEDS. I believe it uses the 3w XPE2. I was thinking of ordering from here:

Any body have experience with them or another trusted source?

I can post pics of the repair if anyone else in interested. I was able to get the lens off (just glued) and bad leds off using a heat gun and tin the PCB pads. So hoping I can flow the new ones back on . That SBAR is well made, but I think I accidentally hot plugged it one time and spiked the LEDS - they tell you not to do that.

TIA

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
XPE2s can't handle thermal inrush like XPG3s can, so its likely you popped them. A 3w battery pack or continuity check will show you which ones are blown. I would check all of them. Bare LEDs are stupid cheap. I like mouser for bare LEDs and RapidLED for Stars.

If you're savy enough to reflow them off and on you are 90% there. I just need a candle and reflow solder for loose stars, but this is trickier if you can't work with individual stars MCPCBs. Just watch the heat.

OP
OP
ReeferLou

ReeferLou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
XPE2s can't handle thermal inrush like XPG3s can, so its likely you popped them. A 3w battery pack or continuity check will show you which ones are blown. I would check all of them. Bare LEDs are stupid cheap. I like mouser for bare LEDs and RapidLED for Stars.

If you're savy enough to reflow them off and on you are 90% there. I just need a candle and reflow solder for loose stars, but this is trickier if you can't work with individual stars MCPCBs. Just watch the heat.
What is weird is that of the 8 or so I need to replace some still kind of lit up after I turned up the dimmer but they were different intensity. And with low dimmer they would be OFF. I measured the VF on them and it was below 1V - only 1 or 2 are actually opened and never light up. Are there any better LEDS to use while I have the chance? I thought about using 5w led XTE same size but my PS only puts out 420 - 600ma so that seemed like a bad idea. I will check the specs on the xpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back