Replacement probes…

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often should you replace the pH, Redox, Temp and/or Conductivity probes?

Don’t feel like paying £80 per probe. Anyone know of a cheaper alternative?

Do we actually need to replace them? I find all of these parameters to be inessential other than temp.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When they fail, become erratic or can longer be calibrated.

For pH I use an Apera 201DJ-C (currently $43 at Amazon). I have one on my P4 and one on my Mini Wi-Fi. Been using them for a few months. Just note that the cable is only 3ft long, so if your controller is farther away than that you will need an extension cable. I use a GHL sensor extension cable.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like you, I found conductivity and Redox to not be of any use to me. So those probes I no longer use.

pH I have some use, more so on my freshwater tank, but really don't pay much attention to it on the reef tank.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When they fail, become erratic or can longer be calibrated.

Think ill just keep calibrating it until I no longer can.

That´s my tactic too. Normally GHL:s pH probes works for years. I have tested many pH probes during the more than 40 years I have been working with water. GHL:s and an old type from Dupla have been the best for continuous readings - even compared with industrial ones. The one I use now to monitoring my tank is more than 4 years old. I normally calibrate when I see values that´s not are expected. My pH electrode to my KH director is on its 4 year too. However - sooner or later - a replacement is needed because of the electrolytes inside them get old or the glass membranes get too dirty- The same with redox electrodes. However the conductivity should be valid for many many years - if the platina electrodes is cleaned now and then. No electrolyte inside these.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Fisherman Joe

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That´s my tactic too. Normally GHL:s pH probes works for years. I have tested many pH probes during the more than 40 years I have been working with water. GHL:s and an old type from Dupla have been the best for continuous readings - even compared with industrial ones. The one I use now to monitoring my tank is more than 4 years old. I normally calibrate when I see values that´s not are expected. My pH electrode to my KH director is on its 4 year too. However - sooner or later - a replacement is needed because of the electrolytes inside them get old or the glass membranes get too dirty- The same with redox electrodes. However the conductivity should be valid for many many years - if the platina electrodes is cleaned now and then. No electrolyte inside these.

Sincerely Lasse
Thanks Lasse

If it’s good enough for you, it’s good enough for me! :D

Ming_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I also ask if there are any expiry dates to the calibration solutions?
Possible to calibrate using generic calibration solutions from Amazon or do i have to use those supplied by GHL?

Sincerely Lasse

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other pH calibration solutions I have purchased have had expiration dates on them, so take that for what it's worth. Salinity should not expire, ensuring there is no evaporation. I don't remember if other ORP solutions have had expiration dates on them or not, probably did. May be a good question to post up in the Chemistry section of the forum.

You can use any calibration solutions. I do not use the GHL ones.

For pH, the most recent solutions I purchased were from Biopharm on Amazon. I have a freshwater tank and brew beer so I get the kit with 4, 7, 10 and storage solution.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The same experiences as @ingchr1 However there is a tip if you do not want your salinity standards to evaporate. Suck it up in a 20 - 50 ml syringe when you first open it up and use a cover for the tip.

Sincerely Lasse

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back