Replacing biocube 29

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my biocube lights are completely shot. 1) I cannot find any replacements for the current hood and 2) replacing the hood altogether seems close to the cost of many nicer looking (IMO) AIO's out there. Plus the biocube design doesn't really jive with me anymore, so I thought I might explore other options. I really like the 13 gallon fluval peninsula look, but I would like something about twice that size, maybe a little bigger. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Right now, I'm kind of leaning towards the water box 25 gallon peninsula mini, but I know there are so many different companies making these things and don't want to miss something.

Any advice on 20-40 gallon counter top AIO's would be much appreciated!

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What bout Red Sea Nano? Or Red Sea Max E 170?

ZAB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulkreef supply inovative marine 10%off right now...or inovative marine web site also having sales right now..l was looking at the 200 gal ext with white stand...hint hint...;Wacky;Wacky;Wacky;Wacky;Wacky;Wacky

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a 60 gallon now and I’m about to buy a 120 gallon. I really want this one to be smaller.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about trying a fiji cube aio insert?
I didn’t know those existed! Looks pretty cool! I think I want to stay rimless, so probably don’t want to do a breeder. But this is exactly why I asked. I wanted to make sure I was looking into all the options.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulkreef supply inovative marine 10%off right now...or inovative marine web site also having sales right now..l was looking at the 200 gal ext with white stand...hint hint...;Wacky;Wacky;Wacky;Wacky;Wacky;Wacky

I really like the desktop 25 gallon peninsula and 30 gallon lagoon. Thanks for that suggestion!!!

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can you get them though? Most places I have looked at show OOS, I am guessing the factory is closed.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t know those existed! Looks pretty cool! I think I want to stay rimless, so probably don’t want to do a breeder. But this is exactly why I asked. I wanted to make sure I was looking into all the options.

I'm sure there are some rimless tanks that you could add that too. They make tanks similar to IM that are rimless
I like IM lagoon tanks too. I think aquatop is rimless too.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get them though? Most places I have looked at show OOS, I am guessing the factory is closed.

I noticed that too. All seem to be out of stock.

Palegic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biocube lighting is junk. Replaced mine a year after getting it many years ago. Steve's LED makes a super high power retrofit kit which is what I used. It's a bit Bulky and DIY ish but it fits in the stock hood and blows anything else out of the water in terms of PAR.

That being said. If I had to do it over I would go rimless. You can cut the rim off your cube and scrape/clean the silicone. Then I would hang a Radion xr15B and be done.

I am likely going to do this with my cube after I finish setting up by reefer 250. I'll toss the cube in my office with a Radion and make in into a frag tank to grow out frags before putting them in the reefer 250 which is in my living room

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biocube lighting is junk. Replaced mine a year after getting it many years ago. Steve's LED makes a super high power retrofit kit which is what I used. It's a bit Bulky and DIY ish but it fits in the stock hood and blows anything else out of the water in terms of PAR.

That being said. If I had to do it over I would go rimless. You can cut the rim off your cube and scrape/clean the silicone. Then I would hang a Radion xr15B and be done.

I am likely going to do this with my cube after I finish setting up by reefer 250. I'll toss the cube in my office with a Radion and make in into a frag tank to grow out frags before putting them in the reefer 250 which is in my living room

I have the older version biocube. I've always had great growth for the type of corals I was going for in there (Mainly softies and a few LPS). The problem is, I need to replace the lights. Since they don't make the lightbulbs anymore, the only options are a retrofit or a new tank. I don't really like the biocube look anymore, so I don't want to retrofit. I want to do a different tank. I'll likely put the biocube away as a hospital tank. Fish won't care if the lights aren't full spectrum anymore. I'll likely do a radion or kessel unless I get a tank that comes with a good light from the get go. At this point, I am thinking I will do an innovative marine tank.

Palegic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the older version biocube. I've always had great growth for the type of corals I was going for in there (Mainly softies and a few LPS). The problem is, I need to replace the lights. Since they don't make the lightbulbs anymore, the only options are a retrofit or a new tank. I don't really like the biocube look anymore, so I don't want to retrofit. I want to do a different tank. I'll likely put the biocube away as a hospital tank. Fish won't care if the lights aren't full spectrum anymore. I'll likely do a radion or kessel unless I get a tank that comes with a good light from the get go. At this point, I am thinking I will do an innovative marine tank.
I completely understand. My post was a long winded response to your original post clarifying that there are options to replace the lighting in your hood that WILL fit in the hood and under the protective clear cover.

That being said. If you want to ditch it thats cool. I also feel that my cube was outdated looking and no longer display worthy for my new house. I ordered a reefer 250, however you can not go wrong with a waterbox and I would totally go that route. You can even grab them with the new Radion XR15B's which is exactly what I would use.

Ditch the 13 Fluval Peninsula idea IMO.

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely understand. My post was a long winded response to your original post clarifying that there are options to replace the lighting in your hood that WILL fit in the hood and under the protective clear cover.

That being said. If you want to ditch it thats cool. I also feel that my cube was outdated looking and no longer display worthy for my new house. I ordered a reefer 250, however you can not go wrong with a waterbox and I would totally go that route. You can even grab them with the new Radion XR15B's which is exactly what I would use.

Reefer 250 is one of the best looking tank system. I love mine only wish the sump be a little bigger.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Right, but those setups, like Steve's lights, are the same amount or more than just updating the tank altogether. :)

I currently have a 60 gallon cube and will purchase a 120 gallon before the end of the year. I also have plans for a 300+ gallon tank in the far future. If I am going to have several tanks, as seems likely with any reef hobbyists/addict ;Joyful, I want to make sure they are distinctive.

A friend of mine just got the 13 gallon fluval, and while it is much smaller than what I want, I think it is quite charming in the small nook she placed it. I plan on the tank being mainly a zoa tank, so it shouldn't need much upkeep. I know I do not want to do a fluval, but the look is striking.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefer 250 is one of the best looking tank system. I love mine only wish the sump be a little bigger.

Definitely do not want a sump on this tank. I'm just looking for a small-ish AIO countertop tank for a small nook. I have one tank with a large sump and will be purchasing another larger set up by the end of the year. I will put my two clowns in this small one and put mainly softies and LPS. I'm thinking about mainly zoas.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update. I went a little smaller than I was originally considering. I just purchased the 15 gallon waterbox mini peninsula. I think it stays true to the nano/countertop look.

twiatr2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
so I have a 29 biocube that's about 16 years old, originally came with the metal halide bulb, I removed the hood completely and installed an AI hd and stand for just over 200 bucks, still got the hood with new leds if your interested, LOL!!!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back