OP
OP
JediCruz

JediCruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well then, I would keep running Carbon then. Not as tempting anymore.

No idea - I use Red Sea Reef-spec carbon and Nyos Active Carb. My system is 200 gallons total, and I utilize approximately 500g of carbon every 4-5 weeks.

My water is just not that yellow. Maybe my system runs more efficiently or maybe yours has a higher bioload. There are too many factors to consider. For me my regiment works.
I’ll look into those Carbon. 500 grams is what you say you run on a 200 gallon? If so then that’s about 2 cups and 1 tsp. If I used ROX Carbon on a 200 gallon then it would be 1.25 cups. Maybe I’m not running enough which would explain why I need to replace more often. The BRS calculator also has a drop down for lignite or bituminous Carbon. I don’t know if the 2 you run are any of those 3. I’ll check.

OP
OP
JediCruz

JediCruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I can see this working just fine.

You could use more carbon. You would have to “titrate “ the amount by adding a bit more every time you change it until you don’t see a yellow color at the next bimonthly water change. You could then use the reappearance of the yellow color at water change time to tell you to change the GAC.
Yeah, I’m thinking the same. Though I’m running low on carbon already so I’ll need to buy more before I decide to up the amount. I have about 3 more weeks left on the current amount I use.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll look into those Carbon. 500 grams is what you say you run on a 200 gallon? If so then that’s about 2 cups and 1 tsp. If I used ROX Carbon on a 200 gallon then it would be 1.25 cups. Maybe I’m not running enough which would explain why I need to replace more often. The BRS calculator also has a drop down for lignite or bituminous Carbon. I don’t know if the 2 you run are any of those 3. I’ll check.
Approximately, yes. Red Sea recommends 100ml per 200 liters, so I'm using enough for roughly 250 gallons. They suggest changing out every 1-2 months, and as my system is relatively new I've been changing it out every month (but will probably start extending this at some point). Red Sea reef-spec carbon is bituminous.

USCfan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate having to add new equipment to the tank but I may add that if I can. I’ll have to look into it. Then I’ll only run Carbon if I think somethings in the water that shouldn’t be.
Ozone will make your fish look like they are floating in air!

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rarely use carbon anymore. Only when something seems off in the tank, or maybe once midway through my six month water change schedule. Back when I had a leather dominant tank, I used it more to combat the chemical warfare that went on in the tank. A little yellowing doesn't bother me as it isn't really noticeable outside of a white bucket, and doesn't seem to bother fish or coral.

OP
OP
JediCruz

JediCruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Approximately, yes. Red Sea recommends 100ml per 200 liters, so I'm using enough for roughly 250 gallons. They suggest changing out every 1-2 months, and as my system is relatively new I've been changing it out every month (but will probably start extending this at some point). Red Sea reef-spec carbon is bituminous.
Ah, that’s the kicker. 1-2 months is a very new system, reef tank wise. Now I could just be making assumptions here but with that new of a tank there not enough biodiversity in the tank to introduce all the organics that would cause the water to yellow. When my tank was as new as yours my water looked great as well and my skimmer barely produced any skimmate with any significant color. Fast forward 10 months later and the skimmer is producing very dark brown to almost black skimmate and my tank water yellows in a week exhausting the carbon. Again, I’m making assumptions here. Maybe the tank is new but the inhabitants, rock, substrate, filtering, etc is established already. Just my thought.
I rarely use carbon anymore. Only when something seems off in the tank, or maybe once midway through my six month water change schedule. Back when I had a leather dominant tank, I used it more to combat the chemical warfare that went on in the tank. A little yellowing doesn't bother me as it isn't really noticeable outside of a white bucket, and doesn't seem to bother fish or coral.
After my tank had a mini crash (my fault for being dumb) I’ve been a lot more careful about filtering. Maybe I went too far. Also didn’t care about it before. For now, though, I’ll stick with it and maybe I’ll dial that back layer. I already removed the GFO so I’ll see how the tank handles that first.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, that’s the kicker. 1-2 months is a very new system, reef tank wise. Now I could just be making assumptions here but with that new of a tank there not enough biodiversity in the tank to introduce all the organics that would cause the water to yellow. When my tank was as new as yours my water looked great as well and my skimmer barely produced any skimmate with any significant color. Fast forward 10 months later and the skimmer is producing very dark brown to almost black skimmate and my tank water yellows in a week exhausting the carbon. Again, I’m making assumptions here. Maybe the tank is new but the inhabitants, rock, substrate, filtering, etc is established already. Just my thought.
Well, the tank is approaching 6 months now, actually. Much of the rockscape, fish, corals and inverts have been around for over a year. With 22 fish and probably close to 100+ various inverts that comprise the cleanup crew - it's fairly diverse. My skimmer pulls out the most wretched, foul-smelling skim imaginable. Dark green bordering on black. And I do need to empty it every 3-5 days.

I'm not suggesting you don't have to change your carbon more frequently, just with my setup I don't. I know this is specifically a "carbon" thread, but there's a lot more that I do with my tank every day/week/month besides just changing the carbon that is contributing to a healthy tank (and using premium carbon and other elements certainly doesn't hurt, either). Addendum: I tried attaching an image, but that R2R feature is apparently non-functional atm.

OP
OP
JediCruz

JediCruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the tank is approaching 6 months now, actually. Much of the rockscape, fish, corals and inverts have been around for over a year. With 22 fish and probably close to 100+ various inverts that comprise the cleanup crew - it's fairly diverse. My skimmer pulls out the most wretched, foul-smelling skim imaginable. Dark green bordering on black. And I do need to empty it every 3-5 days.

I'm not suggesting you don't have to change your carbon more frequently, just with my setup I don't. I know this is specifically a "carbon" thread, but there's a lot more that I do with my tank every day/week/month besides just changing the carbon that is contributing to a healthy tank (and using premium carbon and other elements certainly doesn't hurt, either). Addendum: I tried attaching an image, but that R2R feature is apparently non-functional atm.
6 months is definitely a good time frame. I would like to know your routine and filtration just so I can compare it to mine. I’m always interested in knowing how others are being successful.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back