Replacing Female Clownfish in Pair

george9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my female clownfish took a leap of faith out of my Deskmate tank overnight. Woke up and found her dried up on a rug 4 feet from the tank. Absolutely gut wrenching to find. I made a makeshift lid for now, but just ordered a nice one to replace it. I’m kicking myself for not having a lid from the start.

I’d like to get my male a replacement, and need to move quick if I want to do it before he begins to turn female. I’m considering my options:

Should I do a smaller or same size clownfish as my male, so both of them will be guaranteed males? I am thinking in this case, my existing male will likely become the new female in this pair.

Or should I buy a larger 2”+ clown that is more likely to already be female to mate with my existing male? My existing male is about 1.5” tops. super small little guy.

These guys were a great pair for 2 years now, but I remember it was quite the process getting correct sizes to ensure a smooth and painless pairing process.

Curious to hear any thoughts, thanks!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either get one half his size and he will turn female or get one .5 of an inch bigger or more so he remains female that that one possibly female. I usually look for clowns by themselves of a decent size at my LFS. Just bought two a couple months ago, the big one is 12 and for sure female, the other one half the size and they paired instantly, so he is my male now. If it were me I would probably go for smaller than him so he becomes female cause clowns are territorial and he could be super aggressive to a bigger one and they kill eachother! Just my two cents

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna be the odd man out with this but, I like to add larger clown last if I can’t let them grow out together. The newer clown is likely to be more timid and will not have a define territory yet. Being timid and noticeably larger gives them a survival advantage.

zeusyqiluvu2023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to end clownfish stress situation 1st. I had 2 breeds of clownfish, lacked info. Had to remove new clownfish. First 2 fish never swam correctly. 1 died after 3 weeks. Tomato clownfish. Other clownfish survived. Used stress coat liquid, antibiotic 14 days. Purchased smaller clownish. Is male. Need that or 2 females. One will turn male. Females swim 2st. Male second. I began tank 6/19/23. First 2 fish end 09/2023. I'll female had puffy left eye, appears blind in eye. Film over eyeball, but has been swimming her best ever. Didn't eat 5 to 7 days at onset of illness. Tried eating. Ate well by 10 days. Swims her best. I'm a proud beginner. 2 turbo snails are good. 32 bio tech tank. Now ready to add 4 fish ( beginner recommended tomorrow. Tank not cycling well. Use bacteria Ii liquid, salinity must be 0.0125. I'm good, ph lowered recently, slowly added 1/2 dose, after following ph up (pellet like, 1 tsp mix with cup of right temp water) & slime coat. Ph steady at 8. Occasionally change between nitrite to nitrate. Changing 1/3 tank water, assured saltwater mix with saltwater mix w/ tap water to sit 72 hours. Can use chlorine out liquid when can't allow time to sit. 4 turbo snails resulted in 2 dying twice. Plan to get a fish requires algae to cut down over growth. Be patient. Return 1 or both if possible. Other than issue with clownfish, illness, lacks cycle. All normal, occasional Chang in nitrite to nitrate. Not a strong cycle. Saw comment if outcome in salinity, pH & phosphate that I don't check ever. Tank considered OK, just check as directed. Good luck. Can be done. Healing clownfish, doing super than ever, I am proud & a bit more capable to take time to regroup. Took time. That's really ok. Good luck! Hope I helped, a bit? Lol!

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this happen to me when my Female died. I bought a small male and the old male turned female. It took a few days for the existing clown fish to accept the new one, but in time it did.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back