Replacing live rock with dry rock?

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I really dislike my Aquascape and was curious if I was able to move almost all of my live rock into the sump with not many reprocussions? Would it be smart to say pre soak the dry rock in either ro/di or salt water before adding it directly to the tank?

I ideally will order dry rock, epoxy it together into a cool AquaScape and then add it into the tank. I already moved a lot of live rock into my sump and have a marine pure block in it currently.

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldnt have any problems going from tank to sump. Its reccomended to rinse dry rock before putting it in your tank. Soaking it really wont do much but fill up your porous rock with water and since there isnt any living organisms on it it should be fine to use regular tap water. Pre soaking though doesnt have much use because nitrifying bacteria wont form and grow unless you have something producing ammonia

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldnt have any problems going from tank to sump. Its reccomended to rinse dry rock before putting it in your tank. Soaking it really wont do much but fill up your porous rock with water and since there isnt any living organisms on it it should be fine to use regular tap water. Pre soaking though doesnt have much use because nitrifying bacteria wont form and grow unless you have something producing ammonia
So ideally get new rock, build some cool aquascape, rinse in water fresh or salt to remove dust or whatnot. What is the ideal putty / glue to use for rocks? I just assume gorilla glue gel and other stuff isn’t strong enough for rocks. I’m thinking some putty/ epoxy stuff.

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ideally get new rock, build some cool aquascape, rinse in water fresh or salt to remove dust or whatnot. What is the ideal putty / glue to use for rocks? I just assume gorilla glue gel and other stuff isn’t strong enough for rocks. I’m thinking some putty/ epoxy stuff.
Most petstores carry aquarium epoxy or glue. Dont use regular glues or epoxies like gorilla as it will break apart and is probably toxic. I'd rinse the rocks first then assemble

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most petstores carry aquarium epoxy or glue. Dont use regular glues or epoxies like gorilla as it will break apart and is probably toxic. I'd rinse the rocks first then assemble
Any experience with JB waterweld?

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used JB water weld but allowed it to fully cure outside the tank and cycled the rock for months before putting it in the tank. I'd probably pay the few bucks extra for the fish branded ones even if they look identical.

They make a purple one... tends to blend in more quickly.

As far as replacing your rock, you wont have much issue moving it from display to sump unless you have a bunch of algae on it and no light in the sump.. expect die off then.

You will likely have issues adding dry rock in medium to large quantities. Expect parameters to shift and some volatility in alkalinity, PO4, and depending on the rock, nitrates too. Test often and don't over react.

I would personally cycle the rock outside of the tank with rock seeded from my display. Then after a few months, slowly add the new rock in.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used JB water weld but allowed it to fully cure outside the tank and cycled the rock for months before putting it in the tank. I'd probably pay the few bucks extra for the fish branded ones even if they look identical.

They make a purple one... tends to blend in more quickly.

As far as replacing your rock, you wont have much issue moving it from display to sump unless you have a bunch of algae on it and no light in the sump.. expect die off then.

You will likely have issues adding dry rock in medium to large quantities. Expect parameters to shift and some volatility in alkalinity, PO4, and depending on the rock, nitrates too. Test often and don't over react.

I would personally cycle the rock outside of the tank with rock seeded from my display. Then after a few months, slowly add the new rock in.

I didn’t think of that being an option. Would I be able to have a bucket of saltwater in my basement with the new dry rock along with some of my seeded live rock? Is it being heated required / also a powerhead?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back