Replacing optical sensors wwith float switches.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an open box AutoAqua Auto Water Changer. The only thing I am not happy about are the optical sensors for the water level. I have had a bad experience with these failing in the past and I would like to swap in some float switches I have.

So how do I get float switches to make logic level outputs?

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people use the optical sensors as the primary sensors, and then use the float sensors as secondary sensors, placed a little higher or lower than the optical ones. Those float sensors are then connected to relays or solenoids that turn off/on power switches manually as a fail-safe. Configuring these can be pretty complicated, depending on your gear. To really help here, we'd have to know exactly what equipment you have, and what controllers you have, if any (Apex? Etc.).

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump cab ripped the optical sensor off the wire.
So I wired up the float switch and it is working fine. I actually replaced both of the sensors.
Then I plugged the Smartaqua unit into my Autotopoff unit and with the flip of one float I have high and low water cutoff.
IMG_3350_HEIC-M.jpg
IMG_3351_HEIC-M.jpg

Hopefully, I made it crab proof too.
I cant adjust the AWC water volume is the only problem.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an open box AutoAqua Auto Water Changer. The only thing I am not happy about are the optical sensors for the water level. I have had a bad experience with these failing in the past and I would like to swap in some float switches I have.

So how do I get float switches to make logic level outputs?
Float switch by simple on/off mechanism, and will operate at logic level if the input power source is logic level. In most cases, you should be able to use the optical switches power and gnd connection directly and use it for float switch. Just add a pull down resistor if needed.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Float switch by simple on/off mechanism, and will operate at logic level if the input power source is logic level. In most cases, you should be able to use the optical switches power and gnd connection directly and use it for float switch. Just add a pull down resistor if needed.
I connected the black (ground) and white ( signal) together and placed the float switch between them and the red (power) so the signal is low until the float switch closes and then it goes high.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back