Replacment Shaft for a Tunze 6105

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Drauka99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear I saw it listed before on the Tunze parts but I must not have because I don't see them now.

I have the drive unit but not a shaft on 2 6105s that I was gifted. I was hoping not to have to buy the complete drive unit. Is there a part number for just the shaft and the the rubber caps (if they are used in this model)

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are two types of 6105 and all full size 2nd generation Streams. Those made before Nov 2011 have a removable shaft, this is part 6065.709. Pumps made after this have a fixed shaft that is a permanent part of the motor, if pulled out the motor needs to be replaced, rarely the shaft can be reinstalled but it is not available as a spare part. The older style will have a cross in the bottom, the newer style has a multi rayed sort of star or needle wheel looking bottom. There is a date code on the pump stamped into the side wall of the motor, the hexagonal body under the front cover that has the hole for the propeller. It will be in month/year format, 4 digits.

OP
OP
Drauka99

Drauka99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Mine is the newer style. I tried it and it is working fine. I have one more of the 6105's and I think i need a new drive unit for it. When it is turned on it will run sometimes with some coaxing by bulping the prop, when there is resistance (as in the water) the pump stops and won't run. The drive unit seems to have a good bit of play in it when you move it around.

I also have one of the 6205s, the Power supply is making a clicking noise and the red voltage indicator light fades in and out (and the pump stops). I am assuming I need a new power supply?

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can an impeller from an old style 6105, be used on a new style?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 6205 is fairly old and the power supplies rarely fail on that model as it is way overkill, my suspicion is the pump is dying, it would be at least 7 years old, this is causing an overload which is causing the power supply to cycle off, you could try the power supply on a 6105 which is working to verify it is OK.

Double check the shaft on the other 6105, usually the only drive unit failure is sticking to the shaft or a loose/wobbly shaft. If the propeller is undamaged, the only reason to change the drive unit is the magnet is cracked or 4+ years old the magnet will have lost some power and a new drive unit will be stronger.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can an impeller from an old style 6105, be used on a new style?

I have seen it done, but I would advise against it, it will be noisier and the fixed shaft in the newer model pumps is superior with regards to noise, it is at least 10dB quieter. A hybrid where a damaged shaft on a new model is replaced by the removable shaft is a very noisy combination as the rubber on the bottom of the shaft has to be removed and you have a lot of oscillation. The drive unit for new pumps is 6105.701,and the old is 6105.700, besides including the shaft, the taper of the hole in the drive unit is different, 6105.701 narrows at the top and 6105.700 is the same diameter throughout.

OP
OP
Drauka99

Drauka99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 6205 is fairly old and the power supplies rarely fail on that model as it is way overkill, my suspicion is the pump is dying, it would be at least 7 years old, this is causing an overload which is causing the power supply to cycle off, you could try the power supply on a 6105 which is working to verify it is OK.

Double check the shaft on the other 6105, usually the only drive unit failure is sticking to the shaft or a loose/wobbly shaft. If the propeller is undamaged, the only reason to change the drive unit is the magnet is cracked or 4+ years old the magnet will have lost some power and a new drive unit will be stronger.

I hooked the 6205 up to one of the power supplies for the 6105's and nothing happened, so I am assuming that would mean the motor block is going bad?

I will check the shaft on the 6105 tonight and report back.

Thank you for the help.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6105 power supply is a bit weak for the 6205, it should have run but would cut out and could harm the 6105 power supply. I think it is the motor but it would be worth trying the 6205 power supply on a 6105. The 6155.100 motor is suitable to repair the 6205.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back