Replenish skimmer collection cup?

Gyarados

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone add back saltwater to tank after emptying skimmer collection cup?
This thought came to me as I never replenished what I skimmed out.
Because isn’t the skim basically dirty saltwater?

Pyrogens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how wet or dry you are skimming and total water volume of tank. If it's a small tank, and you're skimming wet and emptying frequently, you should keep a closer eye on your SG. However if you're skimming dry, it won't be as drastic. If it's a large tank, not that big of a deal in between water changes. Treat it like a small % of water lost, and adjust SG monitoring appropriately.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gyarados

Gyarados

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how wet or dry you are skimming and total water volume of tank. If it's a small tank, and you're skimming wet and emptying frequently, you should keep a closer eye on your SG. However if you're skimming dry, it won't be as drastic. If it's a large tank, not that big of a deal in between water changes. Treat it like a small % of water lost, and adjust SG monitoring appropriately.
It’s a big tank.
The reasoning is because I attached a gallon jug to the skimmer cup drain so that I have to clean it less often.
But it makes sense, thanks!

Upvote 0

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.8%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 43 22.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back