Repost: Banded Cat Shark

BillyP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My banded cat shark is not eating now. She tries to but she keeps spitting it out and then trying again. The food is not too big. Parameters are normal. Feeding mysis with an iodine supplement. And also does she look too skinny? Thanks! First post didn't actually post.
b30f67f039bb2b8fd8acaab29ab93c78.jpg

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large is she? I work part time at the National Aquarium in Baltimore and we sometimes have to entice picky eaters to eat. We throw basically everything at them. We try clams, shrimp, squid, crab meat, mackerel, smelt, krill, scallops, etc. You can get foods from the seafood section in your grocery store. Once they're eating we try to transition them to a more species-appropriate diet. But, if they're not eating, the very first priority is getting them to eat something.

Another thing to keep in mind is that sharks don't necessarily need to eat every day. Some only eat every few days in the wild. I don't know our feeding schedule for the sharks, but in the Living Seashore, we definitely have fasting days where we don't feed the animals anything. I don't know specifically how often banded cat sharks need to eat, but she might not be eating because she's not hungry. Is she at least eating something every few days?

You mention that food size isn't too big, but experiment with different sizes. The rays and skates I work with are so picky when it comes to food size. They've definitely been spoiled in captivity and now refuse to eat food that hasn't been cut to a specific size.

Maybe also try stopping the supplement for a few days. Some larger animals can be picky about additives and vitamins. If we add too much vitamin to the foods we feed the rays and skates, some of them will flat out refuse to eat it.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large is she? I work part time at the National Aquarium in Baltimore and we sometimes have to entice picky eaters to eat. We throw basically everything at them. We try clams, shrimp, squid, crab meat, mackerel, smelt, krill, scallops, etc. You can get foods from the seafood section in your grocery store. Once they're eating we try to transition them to a more species-appropriate diet. But, if they're not eating, the very first priority is getting them to eat something.

Another thing to keep in mind is that sharks don't necessarily need to eat every day. Some only eat every few days in the wild. I don't know our feeding schedule for the sharks, but in the Living Seashore, we definitely have fasting days where we don't feed the animals anything. I don't know specifically how often banded cat sharks need to eat, but she might not be eating because she's not hungry. Is she at least eating something every few days?

You mention that food size isn't too big, but experiment with different sizes. The rays and skates I work with are so picky when it comes to food size. They've definitely been spoiled in captivity and now refuse to eat food that hasn't been cut to a specific size.

Maybe also try stopping the supplement for a few days. Some larger animals can be picky about additives and vitamins. If we add too much vitamin to the foods we feed the rays and skates, some of them will flat out refuse to eat it.

This is great advice!!!

I would try pretty much every food mentioned above. You could also try LRS the chunky one.

OP
OP
B

BillyP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks! She is six inches but I thought her belly was too small. I feed every other day. The last time I fed was about 5 days ago. Thanks! Will definitely try out!

R33fz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any new updates about your banded cat shark? Is she alright?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.4%
Back