Reposting - emergency - blue tang scratching no white spots

LMSquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

First time using emergency prefix but think this warrants it as it may mean a tear down of my aqua scape and corals.

My small hippo tang is scratching (flashing?) itself up against a chalice coral. I noticed it last night and it is still going on this morning.

All of my other fish seem fine.

I have 5 firefish that have been in tank for months. A biota yellow tang who was in a smaller tank for about 3 months. Two clowns from a clown breeder who have been in for two months. Just added a small foxface from LFS that was in their system running therapeutic copper for over a month before I purchased.

I have added a a lobo and small torch from same LFS, and a lobo from a website over the last 10 days.

Of course I am thinking ich, but I do not see white spots on the hippo, or anyone else. The foxface who would have been the likely culprit being from LFS looks just fine.

Everyone is eating like a pig.

I REALLY don’t want to tear my 72 gal RSR down with 50+ corals, but I will if I have to. I had a bout with what I believe to have been velvet after which I left tank fallow for over three months save for one firefish that didn’t get it and a fairy wrasse who didn’t get it, and who has since bailed from the tank before I got my Kraken lid.

I do maintain a cycled 40 gallon breeder as a qt tank they can be transferred to in the event of a tear down but the thought of doing this gives me a near panic attack.

Any suggestions? Could this be something other than ich? Do hippos just flash? Any help is greatly appreciated.

* please - no tang police. The blue tang is a baby and the yellow tang is still a juvenile and I will certainly either have a 240+ tank or rehome to a friend before they have outgrown this tank.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a 25watt UV and if the tang is itching from ich the UV will knock the pests down to non-lethal concentrations. With time the tangs will slough if off without any need for the UV to be running.

That was my "emergency response" to your posting. I understand the fear you have and the easiest way to solve your situation is to put a UV onto that 70. imo.

(The Tang Police and the Copper Police have been notified, we are both in trouble.) Merry Christmas.

OP
OP
LMSquire

LMSquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a 25watt UV and if the tang is itching from ich the UV will knock the pests down to non-lethal concentrations. With time the tangs will slough if off without any need for the UV to be running.

That was my "emergency response" to your posting. I understand the fear you have and the easiest way to solve your situation is to put a UV onto that 70. imo.

(The Tang Police and the Copper Police have been notified, we are both in trouble.) Merry Christmas.
Thank you for your reply. I guess I gotta figure out where to come up UV today. To add insult to injury I’m sick.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back