Reptile tank for sump

  • Thread starter Thread starter stickman87
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

stickman87

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 8, 2015
Messages
186
Reaction score
49
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 20 gallon tank that I had a bearded Dragon in and got a bigger tank for it and wanted to use the 20 for a sump for one if my salt tanks I was wondering if I pulled the silicone off cleaned it with vinagar and re sealed it if it would be ok to use
 
Was it bought as a reptile tank or aquarium? The reptile tank are typically made with thinner glass and are not meant to hold water
 
I say no only because it is intentionally made for no water. The glass thickness is less then a standard aquarium. I know and have the one your talking about and it is thinner, I just wouldn't trust it.
 
It's an aqueon tank I had fish in previously before the bearded was in there
 
A 20 gallon is not so large that's difficult to handle.
1. Put some newspaper on a level floor, put the tank on the newspaper and CAREFULLY fill the tank with water. Don't spill any water on the newspaper .
2. If after 24 hours or so and the newspaper is still dry and you don't see any signs of leakage, you are good to go.
3. Clean the tank with a vinegar solution, rinse well.
4. If the tank is leaky, you know what to do.

I haven't had a bearded dragon for more than 20 years but the one I had removed much of the aquarium sealant with his sharp claws. I wasn't able to even fill that tank with 3 inches of water before I noticed leaks on all sides. This was also a FISH designed aquarium. :eek:
 
I recently went through this process with a 55. Honestly, after the time and money in the silicone and such, if it has to be resealed its more worth your time and money to just go buy a new tank. Especially if its only a 20 gallon. $ per gallon sale at petco and you are good to go. But thats just MO
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new