Repurpose DEF barrels?

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have access to a bunch of plastic 55 gallon barrels that were previously used for diesel exhaust fluid. 32% urea, 68% DI water. Can these be safely repurposed to store RO/DI and salt mix?

I’m thinking that any residual urea would be insignificant, but I could be way off base.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure anyone can reliably answer this - but my answer would be 'no'. Since one cannot measure any issues in this barrels before use.

OP
OP
JayM

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure anyone can reliably answer this - but my answer would be 'no'. Since one cannot measure any issues in this barrels before use.
I’m not sure exactly what you mean by “issues”. But I do know that they’re barrels that were factory filled with DEF, and have had nothing but DEF stored inside since being emptied. Of course there’s a chance that the factory doesn’t use brand new barrels, so that certainly could create an unknown that’s not worth the risk.

I’m going to err on the side of caution and agree that it’s not worth the risk.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m not sure exactly what you mean by “issues”. But I do know that they’re barrels that were factory filled with DEF, and have had nothing but DEF stored inside since being emptied. Of course there’s a chance that the factory doesn’t use brand new barrels, so that certainly could create an unknown that’s not worth the risk.

I’m going to err on the side of caution and agree that it’s not worth the risk.
Sorry -by issues I meant - toxins from the barrels that we don't measure

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can say the smaller DEF jugs are good to re-purpose as long as you wash them out. Then add a cupful of bleach with water and rinse n let dry. As for the plastic they use I'm not sure of, but these systems in the trucks are very sensitive to any impurities in the fluid and will toss emission codes like mad if it senses something is off with the DEF fluid itself. The UREA is just that, fertilizer that... I'm not a chemist but @Randy Holmes-Farley can probably chime in, as coral, from my understanding would rather use UREA then ammonia. Honestly I don't think it be an issue as long as rinsed well.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Urea us easily washed away with water and if that is all it contained, I would not be concerned.
So you think it's ok to use these barrels? - forgetting the ammonia urea issue?

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have access to a bunch of plastic 55 gallon barrels that were previously used for diesel exhaust fluid. 32% urea, 68% DI water. Can these be safely repurposed to store RO/DI and salt mix?

I’m thinking that any residual urea would be insignificant, but I could be way off base.
I literally use the 2.5 gallon def jugs that were at one point full of def for my water jugs for my tank. You really have to clean them.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use them too. Even if there was a trace, the plastic cannot just keep on producing urea forever. I would be more worried about tin if the plastic is cheap, but since this can be an issue with any plastic, the drums are no different.

I have used 55g barrels that stored salt brine, iodine, ink and something else that I am forgetting. I had one that had food solution in it, so I knew that it was OK. I wash them with a hose, drill my holes, wash them again and air them out. No problems.

Does anybody know that the buckets from Lowes or Home Depot did not have some nasty compound float into them in the store, or how that plastic was made?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would use them too. Even if there was a trace, the plastic cannot just keep on producing urea forever. I would be more worried about tin if the plastic is cheap, but since this can be an issue with any plastic, the drums are no different.

I have used 55g barrels that stored salt brine, iodine, ink and something else that I am forgetting. I had one that had food solution in it, so I knew that it was OK. I wash them with a hose, drill my holes, wash them again and air them out. No problems.

Does anybody know that the buckets from Lowes or Home Depot did not have some nasty compound float into them in the store, or how that plastic was made?
No - but isn't that why people use food grade containers? BTW - there is a difference between a solution sitting in a bucket for 5 minutes as compared to a storage container. My question - why risk it. Food quality containers are not expensive.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are risking with anything. Sometimes a know quantity is better than the unknown. I went to buy a 150g rubber made at the Tractor Supply and it was upside down in a pool of leaking Glyphosate under it - I passed.

I don't think that HDPE or PE absorbs much stuff... especially organics. I read about this once and I could be wrong, but surface only with most substances.

I buy used gear, tanks, etc. At some point, I have to just let some things go. Remember when people used to never use ANYTHING that walked in front a tank with copper in it?

I do have a bunch of brutes, that are food grade, that came dusty, dirty and with who-knows-what on them - a bit of a leap of faith. I also cannot fault somebody who wants to use a free barrel over spending $40 on a brute. This risk might be OK for them. I am all for repurposing too.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You are risking with anything. Sometimes a know quantity is better than the unknown. I went to buy a 150g rubber made at the Tractor Supply and it was upside down in a pool of leaking Glyphosate under it - I passed.

I don't think that HDPE or PE absorbs much stuff... especially organics. I read about this once and I could be wrong, but surface only with most substances.

I buy used gear, tanks, etc. At some point, I have to just let some things go. Remember when people used to never use ANYTHING that walked in front a tank with copper in it?

I do have a bunch of brutes, that are food grade, that came dusty, dirty and with who-knows-what on them - a bit of a leap of faith. I also cannot fault somebody who wants to use a free barrel over spending $40 on a brute. This risk might be OK for them. I am all for repurposing too.
Can't disagree with the logic - to the OP - I would say - watch for problems - I would use activated carbon in the tank

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you think it's ok to use these barrels? - forgetting the ammonia urea issue?

Yes, that's what I meant by not being concerned after they are washed.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back