Water problems, Man I messed up

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4 stage RO older Kent Marine. Sediment, Carbon Block, Membrane, and lastly DI. Upgraded via BRS to 75 gallon membrane and a 550 restrictor no other restrictors at all. I then noticed I had left my flush valve on for who knows how long? Months I am sure! I just found it that way last week. My RO unit is behind a 110 sump of sorts with hardly any access to it at all. Two days ago I received the two filters, a new pressure gauge, DI resin and a two channel TDS meter kit . Changed filters and installed new TDS meter and pressure gauge. Installed on both sides of the DI canister. A reading of 56 lbs of water pressure then flushed the system out for about 10 mins. And went to make some water first reading was 155 TDS and the after was 0. I had to do some stuff so I turned it off. I came back in about an hour started making water again into a 55 gallon barrel for mixing. The reading had changed 157 in to DI and the after polished water is reading 2 TDS.. AND my "DI resin" has already changed color so, so much.. Would that mean the membrane is shot..? Absolutely no good? It's about 1 year old. Or is there as I have heard a break-in period on new filters...? I guess this is so simple I don't get it.. lol. Any help would greatly be apricated... Thank You..

Last edited:

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4 stage RO older Kent Marine. Sediment, Carbon Block, Membrane, and lastly DI. Upgraded via BRS to 75 gallon membrane and a 550 restrictor no other restrictors at all. I then noticed I had left my flush valve on for who knows how long? Months I am sure! I just found it that way last week. My RO unit is behind a 110 sump of sorts with hardly any access to it at all. Two days ago I received the two filters, a new pressure gauge, DI resin and a two channel TDS meter kit . Changed filters and installed new TDS meter and pressure gauge. Installed on both sides of the DI canister. A reading of 56 lbs of water pressure then flushed the system out for about 10 mins. And went to make some water first reading was 155 TDS and the after was 0. I had to do some stuff so I turned it off. I came back in about an hour started making water again into a 55 gallon barrel for mixing. The reading had changed 157 in to DI and the after polished water is reading 2 TDS.. AND my "DI resin" has already changed color so, so much.. Would that mean the membrane is shot..? Absolutely no good? It's about 1 year old. Or is there as I have heard a break-in period on new filters...? I guess this is so simple I don't get it.. lol. Any help would greatly be apricated... Thank You..
Since you already invested in the RODI system, you might as well just change out the media to be safe. It’s not very hard or expensive.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the supply water TDS?

That number X 0.95 is what your RO should make, roughly. If it's not rejecting 95% of the TDS then the RO membrane is likely no good. I replaced mine recently and my DI is lasting a lot longer.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
157 into DI would kill it fast.
That’s a lot, when mine goes it takes 170 tap water down only 30-40.

3-5 into DI would be the range your looking for.

Membrane gone or not installed correctly letting water pass.
Remove and replace first, otherwise replace membrane with new.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would tend to replace the membrane and your DI resin. I would wonder if just changing the resin alone first might be a good idea just to see where things shake out. Then if the TDS is still >0, replace the membrane. I happen to have some resin, and 75 GPH membranes (new) - that I'm selling on the R2R marketplace. Happy to give you a deal

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would tend to replace the membrane and your DI resin. I would wonder if just changing the resin alone first might be a good idea just to see where things shake out. Then if the TDS is still >0, replace the membrane. I happen to have some resin, and 75 GPH membranes (new) - that I'm selling on the R2R marketplace. Happy to give you a deal
Dang.. I just replaced it. I just did and it changed colors so stinkin fast..! I probably wreaked the membrane running it so long on flush. I do have some hair algae now and had cycno a while back.. I just really didn't know where I should be at. Dang... now I have to wait for UPS again! Thank you really thank you guys.. Membrane time..!!!

jepuskar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your water supply from? A well? If so, check the PH on it. I had a problem with city well water, excessive Co2 was burning through my DI like candy.

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand membranes are you selling? And how much are they?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dang.. I just replaced it. I just did and it changed colors so stinkin fast..! I probably wreaked the membrane running it so long on flush. I do have some hair algae now and had cycno a while back.. I just really didn't know where I should be at. Dang... now I have to wait for UPS again! Thank you really thank you guys.. Membrane time..!!!
I'm not sure that's the case. (about the membrane). But - if the color has changed - in the resin - I guess I would change it. THOUGH - its would be interesting to see what would happen just with the membrane change - i.e. do one thing at a time - that will help with the diagnosis. FYI - I have left my flush on - perhaps not as long as you - but several hours - with no negative effects.

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand membranes are you selling? And how much are they?
What is your water supply from? A well? If so, check the PH on it. I had a problem with city well water, excessive Co2 was burning through my DI like candy.
City Water...! "I am" going to change out my initial water connection point, just to shorten any extra piping through out my office...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure that's the case. (about the membrane). But - if the color has changed - in the resin - I guess I would change it. THOUGH - its would be interesting to see what would happen just with the membrane change - i.e. do one thing at a time - that will help with the diagnosis. FYI - I have left my flush on - perhaps not as long as you - but several hours - with no negative effects.
Like I say.. It was a while left on... gezzzzzzzzzz

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Like I say.. It was a while left on... gezzzzzzzzzz
Well - at least you didn't leave your Ro on filling a tank (freshwater) in your living room on - which wrecked the floor under the tank, the ceiling below, etc - oh - and sure to interest some - it was a Redsea tank - still no seam failure:). My wife was not happy...

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well - at least you didn't leave your Ro on filling a tank (freshwater) in your living room on - which wrecked the floor under the tank, the ceiling below, etc - oh - and sure to interest some - it was a Redsea tank - still no seam failure:). My wife was not happy...
I have done that at work .. lots.. lol. Red Sea read about that this morning.. gezzzzzz. They are very, very, nice tanks! They should stand behind them..! If you have any problems ever!!!!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have done that at work .. lots.. lol. Red Sea read about that this morning.. gezzzzzz. They are very, very, nice tanks! They should stand behind them..! If you have any problems ever!!!!
OH it was not RedSea's problem - it was mine - I did not have a stop valve on the tank.... I was an idiot

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back