Reputable vendors that currently have legitimate peppermint shrimp in?

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been fighting a minor aptasia situation for about a year now. Initially started with constant aptasia x which didn’t do much. Then tried about 10 berghias but my amphipods ate all of the eggs. Then got myself a majano wand but the aptasia just retract into the sand/rock.

I’m fighting a losing battle as their pop has grown so I want to give peppermint shrimp a shot. I know results are so so but I’ll take my odds as there is nothing left to try.

Only problem is algae barn and reef cleaners are currently out of stock and I’m looking to get them sooner rather than later.

Do any of y’all know any reputable vendors that currently have peppermint shrimp in stock? Always cautious with these shrimp as I know vendors sell various species as “peppermint shrimp” but they aren’t authentic.

Saving filefish as last ditch attempt given their temperament and the month qt time.

Leemcg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Blue Zoo Aquatics has them in stock. I’ve bought some from them before with no issues.

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium depot has 34 in stock. I’ve purchased from them before and been happy with the order.
Ah, I’d have to qt those. Might pick up a few at least and toss them in the qt frag tank for the next month incase no one else has them in stock. Do they have any guarantee they are legit peppermint shrimp?

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I’d have to qt those. Might pick up a few at least and toss them in the qt frag tank for the next month incase no one else has them in stock. Do they have any guarantee they are legit peppermint shrimp?
They claim they are the L wurdemani, but take that for what it’s worth. The ones I bought from them ate aptasia, so it’s probably worth a shot.

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They claim they are the L wurdemani, but take that for what it’s worth. The ones I bought from them ate aptasia, so it’s probably worth a shot.
Will get a few and put them in qt, that way I’ll be good in 3 weeks. Everyone seems out of stock with everything right now. Appreciate the suggestion!

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came across salty bottom reefs. Has anyone dealt with them before?

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came across salty bottom reefs. Has anyone dealt with them before?
Nope dont

most places I believe aren’t true aiptasia eating shrimp, I’ve had multiple LFS bring in multiple vendors and they are always other type

I had an outbreak and I successfully used a filefish, there is a danger to LPS but I’m keeping in the sump or return to my LFS once the aiptasia is done with (it has been for two weeks now)

remember peppermints can steal food and are fast vs filefish who are slower than my other fish and hence goes hungry .... and hence decimated my aiptasia

U

User1

View Badges
Don't hold me to this but I believe they may be seasonal. Also a few sellers have them but they are small. Smaller size like 1/4" or so. I ordered from algae barn and that is what I received. My copperband made short work of them. That size I'd wager some wrasses will have a snack. Not the fault of AB just saying to check on size before you buy.

I passed by my LFS the other day and they had 2 so I picked them up. I prefer to buy in groups of 10 as they tend to spread out and find a spot and stay within it.

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased 4 from pacific east aquaculture. Threw them in the frag qt, there is some aptasia in there for them while they are being quarantined so will see if they consume it.

The one thing I'm nervous about is it seems that Lysmata boggessi is the species that consume aptasia, the species pacific east sells (yet claims they eat aptasia) are Lysmata wurdemanni .

So I'm a little skeptical/nervous. We'll see how they perform though.

BuddyVanDoodle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything I’ve read online say that wurdemanni are the way to go. But algaebarn has a big article on bogessi saying they’re the ones which is also what they sell so which one is it really

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything I’ve read online say that wurdemanni are the way to go. But algaebarn has a big article on bogessi saying they’re the ones which is also what they sell so which one is it really
I can confirm wurdemanni do work against aptasia. I just ordered 3 more from algaebarn so will be able to tell you if they work as well.

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw wwc has wurdemanni for about $8 a piece right now , so I’m going to give that a shot
My wurdemanni from pacific east have cleared all aptasia from the frag tank. 3 of them did it in 2-3 days in the little 25g.

My bogessi get in tomorrow and are captive bred so throwing them right in the dt. These guys are effective as h*** so far. The only thing I’ve ever purchased to truly clear all aptasia. I’m very happy, was feeling hopeless for a bit when my amphipods kept eating the nudis.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back