Request for advice on recommendations for next tank to upgrade to from Aqueon 29 gallon

Fishkins88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon reefers,

I could use some advice on picking out a next tank. I have an aqueon rimmed 29 gallon tank with two clowns, a firefish, liverock, and some soft corals that are doing well. I am getting the itch to go bigger in order to have more fish and corals. I really like the rimless look of tanks like waterbox all in one aquariums like the 50.3 gallon (https://waterboxaquariums.com/products/aio-50-3). I understand that next Friday they may have some great sales. Can anyone recommend a tank around the 50 gallon range that is a good value? I have lights, powerhead, heaters and such already. I am trying to find a good tank in the price range of the waterbox 50.3 or cheaper ;) .

Is upgrading to a 50 gallon worth it in terms of the expense for the larger volume? I understand tangs need more space. This is a fish I would like to have but due to storage space, budget, and maintenance time I think a 50 gallon tank is about all I can handle. Are there any new things the larger tank could open up?

Any advice on whether an upgrade at this size is worth it and a recommendation model would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards and happy reefing,

Fishkins 88

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally really like the 60 breeders that are cheap and have great dimensions. If I were to have a smaller tank it would be one of these. Opens you up to bristletooth tangs, dwarf angels and some wrasses. Not to mention more coral space.

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you looking at the water box 50.3 peninsula?

Personally I like the innovative marine 50 lagoon or the SR-60 for your size range and they would not only come out to a bit cheaper (they are 15% off on saltwateraquarium.com right now) plus they come with extra stuff that to me makes it more woth it. You can the controllable pump which I like, a media basket, lid cover, and a few extras that waterbox doesnt offer for more money. I would definitely go with one of the Innovative marines as it is cheaper and you get more with it.

So yeah you obviously wont be able to have a tang in a size tank like this especailly if it is not 4 foot long, but just some bigger either a lagoon or something that is longer than you 29 opens the door for bigger coral pieces that wouldnt be able to grow as big in a 29 gallon, ability to have more consistency and stability, and just overall a few more fish that will add character and movement.

OP
OP
F

Fishkins88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally really like the 60 breeders that are cheap and have great dimensions. If I were to have a smaller tank it would be one of these. Opens you up to bristletooth tangs, dwarf angels and some wrasses. Not to mention more coral space.
Thank you for the advice. I looked up the dimensions of this tank and was surprised by its length. Do you think Aqueon tanks are durable if take care of ? $200 for a 60 gallon tank is a great price.

OP
OP
F

Fishkins88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you looking at the water box 50.3 peninsula?

Personally I like the innovative marine 50 lagoon or the SR-60 for your size range and they would not only come out to a bit cheaper (they are 15% off on saltwateraquarium.com right now) plus they come with extra stuff that to me makes it more woth it. You can the controllable pump which I like, a media basket, lid cover, and a few extras that waterbox doesnt offer for more money. I would definitely go with one of the Innovative marines as it is cheaper and you get more with it.

So yeah you obviously wont be able to have a tang in a size tank like this especailly if it is not 4 foot long, but just some bigger either a lagoon or something that is longer than you 29 opens the door for bigger coral pieces that wouldnt be able to grow as big in a 29 gallon, ability to have more consistency and stability, and just overall a few more fish that will add character and movement.
Thank you for the advice. That 50 lagoon is a great looking tank. I forgot about innovative marine. Thank you for the heads up on the discount. I am giving one of the tanks some serious thought. I am looking for more movement and interest with a bigger tank.

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice. That 50 lagoon is a great looking tank. I forgot about innovative marine. Thank you for the heads up on the discount. I am giving one of the tanks some serious thought. I am looking for more movement and interest with a bigger tank.
Yeah of course, I would probably go with the IM because for this size tank I personally think the AIO concept is the best. Anything over 60ish gallons definitely easier with a sump and anything under easier with an AIO. With the Aqueon you are either going to have to drill it for a sump, get a hang on back overflow, or run a canister/hang on back filter which all arent as easy to implement in the beginning in the cause of the drilling or long term in the maintenance with a canister compared to an AIO tank. They can all be done with a smaller price in the beginning but definitely much more work to get it set up and arent just plug and play. Plus they will have a rim compared to the IM or Waterbox which is rimless.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd join a local facebook group, wait around for a while, and see what's on sale in the used market. People break down their tanks all the time, and you can save 75% off the cost of a new build if you buy one that's used. With the exceptions of my Evos, all tanks that I've bought have been used, and you can mitigate risk if you do a water holding test with a promising tank before you buy it.

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd join a local facebook group, wait around for a while, and see what's on sale in the used market. People break down their tanks all the time, and you can save 75% off the cost of a new build if you buy one that's used. With the exceptions of my Evos, all tanks that I've bought have been used, and you can mitigate risk if you do a water holding test with a promising tank before you buy it.
Exactly this, you can also look on the marketplace on here or see if your state has a reefing site which sometimes has a marketplace.

OP
OP
F

Fishkins88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very smart. I did not think of this.

OP
OP
F

Fishkins88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah of course, I would probably go with the IM because for this size tank I personally think the AIO concept is the best. Anything over 60ish gallons definitely easier with a sump and anything under easier with an AIO. With the Aqueon you are either going to have to drill it for a sump, get a hang on back overflow, or run a canister/hang on back filter which all arent as easy to implement in the beginning in the cause of the drilling or long term in the maintenance with a canister compared to an AIO tank. They can all be done with a smaller price in the beginning but definitely much more work to get it set up and arent just plug and play. Plus they will have a rim compared to the IM or Waterbox which is rimless.
Thank you for the followup. I have been confused at what volume you can get away without having a sump. I had guesstiamted it at 50 gallons. Looking more through IM tonight and looks like big savings over waterbox. Thanks again.

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice. I looked up the dimensions of this tank and was surprised by its length. Do you think Aqueon tanks are durable if take care of ? $200 for a 60 gallon tank is a great price.
I have been running my 75 Gallon for 4 years with zero issues. Just be nice to your tank and it will be nice to you!

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Good afternoon reefers,

I could use some advice on picking out a next tank. I have an aqueon rimmed 29 gallon tank with two clowns, a firefish, liverock, and some soft corals that are doing well. I am getting the itch to go bigger in order to have more fish and corals. I really like the rimless look of tanks like waterbox all in one aquariums like the 50.3 gallon (https://waterboxaquariums.com/products/aio-50-3). I understand that next Friday they may have some great sales. Can anyone recommend a tank around the 50 gallon range that is a good value? I have lights, powerhead, heaters and such already. I am trying to find a good tank in the price range of the waterbox 50.3 or cheaper ;) .

Is upgrading to a 50 gallon worth it in terms of the expense for the larger volume? I understand tangs need more space. This is a fish I would like to have but due to storage space, budget, and maintenance time I think a 50 gallon tank is about all I can handle. Are there any new things the larger tank could open up?

Any advice on whether an upgrade at this size is worth it and a recommendation model would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards and happy reefing,

Fishkins 88
I just upgraded from a 75 to a 125. I wish I had gone with a 180 or maybe even a 280. Rather than looking at a 50 I'd consider going as large as you can. I'd think about a minimum of a 65 or 75 for now. Even those are going to be small if you want any kind of fish load.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh for me I am staying with my nano's, It's not that I do not like the bigger tanks but they are bigger and IMHO require more work, bigger water changes etc and etc..the one thing besides having more room to put stuff is I really would like a foxface or tang to help with the GHA, that would be nice, just more fish all the way around and while the bigger the water the more stable things can be, theyjust require more of everything...but hey most everyone likes to go bigger...:)

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Oh, you will. You will.

I remember a time when I told myself that I only needed one tank... :face-with-tongue:
Started with a 5, upgraded to a 75, upgraded to a 110 lobster tank, upgraded to a 125 before I even set the 110 up, finally tore down the 5 on Saturday and started transferring everything from the 75 on Sunday.... Already need a bigger tank. :grinning-squinting-face:

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh for me I am staying with my nano's, It's not that I do not like the bigger tanks but they are bigger and IMHO require more work, bigger water changes etc and etc..the one thing besides having more room to put stuff is I really would like a foxface or tang to help with the GHA, that would be nice, just more fish all the way around and while the bigger the water the more stable things can be, theyjust require more of everything...but hey most everyone likes to go bigger...:)
I have already planted the seed that I want an inwall 6-foot by 3-foot tank in our theater room. I think she is going to allow it as I now have the FisHotel out of our basement and in a proper location.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back