Request for advice on recommendations for next tank to upgrade to from Aqueon 29 gallon

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just upgraded from a 75 to a 125. I wish I had gone with a 180 or maybe even a 280. Rather than looking at a 50 I'd consider going as large as you can. I'd think about a minimum of a 65 or 75 for now. Even those are going to be small if you want any kind of fish load.
I would second this. Go with the biggest you can fit in your space (and afford). Upgrading from 29 to 50-ish won't feel like that much of an upgrade in space after a few months. I would recommend at least a 4 foot long tank if you have the space for it. That gives you the option to keep some medium sized fish like one of the smaller tang species. Traditional rimmed 75 gallon tanks are dirt cheap compared to rimless options, and you can get reef-ready rimmed 75 gallon tanks that are already drilled for a sump also. If you prefer the rimless style, I've heard great things about the value of Innovative Marine over Waterbox or Red Sea. Obviously almost everyone who chimes in is going to say whatever they have is great...probably some version of confirmation bias at work.

Last year I upgraded from a 46 gallon bowfront with a canister filter to an 80 gallon lagoon style (4 foot x 2 foot footprint) with a 45 gallon sump, and while the initial learning curve of plumbing a sump for the first time was steep, it definitely wasn't impossible, and I was successful on my first attempt. My maximum upgrade size was dictated by the available space in my living room, and I'm glad that I maximized that space. Feel free to take a look at my build thread for the building process and some recent tank videos if you like. Good luck!

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started with a 5, upgraded to a 75, upgraded to a 110 lobster tank, upgraded to a 125 before I even set the 110 up, finally tore down the 5 on Saturday and started transferring everything from the 75 on Sunday.... Already need a bigger tank. :grinning-squinting-face:
The kids grow up so quickly, don't they?

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Look at my build thread. I have a planet aquriums tideline 70g rimless. It looks fantastic and is very reasonably priced compared to others.

its about the perfect size, lets you keep most fish you want and seems big enough without being over whelming.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all comes down to how much space you have really. I live in a small apt and have a 53 gallon system and it's been great. Hammer, frogspawn, torch, gsp, zoas, mushrooms, goniopora, acans, gorgonian, etc all with a good amount of space, lots of cave and swim space and I have fit 9 fish in there pretty comfortably (2 ocellaris, 1 anthias, 1 mandarin, 1 flameback angel, 1 melanarus wrasse, 1 flame hawkfish, 1 royal gramma, and a midas blenny).

Of course bigger gives you more options but every size tank has its worth. If you have space for a 4' tank maybe look into a 75gallon, to me that's the minimum for some bristletooth tangs, foxface etc and it will feel huge compared to your current tank I know I've gone from 36 gallon to 75 gallon in the past and it seemed so much bigger

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice. I looked up the dimensions of this tank and was surprised by its length. Do you think Aqueon tanks are durable if take care of ? $200 for a 60 gallon tank is a great price.
Yes they’re not the highest quality but if you’re thinking it’s a stepping stone to the next upgrade, why would you spend thousands when hundreds will work? I personally believe you should goes as big as you can afford and skip the middle as it ends up costing way more anyways but that wasn’t the question asked.

OP
OP
F

Fishkins88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank. I had never heard of this brand. I really like the rimless look. So clean.
Look at my build thread. I have a planet aquriums tideline 70g rimless. It looks fantastic and is very reasonably priced compared to others.

its about the perfect size, lets you keep most fish you want and seems big enough without being over whelming.

OP
OP
F

Fishkins88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they’re not the highest quality but if you’re thinking it’s a stepping stone to the next upgrade, why would you spend thousands when hundreds will work? I personally believe you should goes as big as you can afford and skip the middle as it ends up costing way more anyways but that wasn’t the question asked.
This is such a great point. For my budget I could fill a larger Aqueon tank with tons of coral frags and get upgraded lights.

OP
OP
F

Fishkins88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all comes down to how much space you have really. I live in a small apt and have a 53 gallon system and it's been great. Hammer, frogspawn, torch, gsp, zoas, mushrooms, goniopora, acans, gorgonian, etc all with a good amount of space, lots of cave and swim space and I have fit 9 fish in there pretty comfortably (2 ocellaris, 1 anthias, 1 mandarin, 1 flameback angel, 1 melanarus wrasse, 1 flame hawkfish, 1 royal gramma, and a midas blenny).

Of course bigger gives you more options but every size tank has its worth. If you have space for a 4' tank maybe look into a 75gallon, to me that's the minimum for some bristletooth tangs, foxface etc and it will feel huge compared to your current tank I know I've gone from 36 gallon to 75 gallon in the past and it seemed so much bigger
This sounds like an awesome combo of fish and coral. For the time I think the biggest tank width I could get my wife on board with is about 4 feet. For budget and space this is why I was leaning to around a 50 gallon. I was able to get her and my kids interested enough to have it in the kitchen.

OP
OP
F

Fishkins88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would second this. Go with the biggest you can fit in your space (and afford). Upgrading from 29 to 50-ish won't feel like that much of an upgrade in space after a few months. I would recommend at least a 4 foot long tank if you have the space for it. That gives you the option to keep some medium sized fish like one of the smaller tang species. Traditional rimmed 75 gallon tanks are dirt cheap compared to rimless options, and you can get reef-ready rimmed 75 gallon tanks that are already drilled for a sump also. If you prefer the rimless style, I've heard great things about the value of Innovative Marine over Waterbox or Red Sea. Obviously almost everyone who chimes in is going to say whatever they have is great...probably some version of confirmation bias at work.

Last year I upgraded from a 46 gallon bowfront with a canister filter to an 80 gallon lagoon style (4 foot x 2 foot footprint) with a 45 gallon sump, and while the initial learning curve of plumbing a sump for the first time was steep, it definitely wasn't impossible, and I was successful on my first attempt. My maximum upgrade size was dictated by the available space in my living room, and I'm glad that I maximized that space. Feel free to take a look at my build thread for the building process and some recent tank videos if you like. Good luck!
Thank you for the advice. It is changing my mind to consider larger than a 50 gallon.

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome tank. I had never heard of this brand. I really like the rimless look. So clean.

planet aquariums is my go to brand. Its way above and beyond marineland and Aqueon. I had 2 Aqueon 180g failures brand new and then my marineland 180g lasted until i cracked it drilling it. Every tank I own now is Planet aquarium. The quality vs price to me is by far the best ratio. Waterbox, Red Sea etc are all way to expensive for what you get.

I think at the time of purchase my 70 rimless PA tank was $600 for the tank and stand. Not really that much more than the cheaper brands and much higher quality. I will continue to buy PA tanks until they no longer make them.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds like an awesome combo of fish and coral. For the time I think the biggest tank width I could get my wife on board with is about 4 feet. For budget and space this is why I was leaning to around a 50 gallon. I was able to get her and my kids interested enough to have it in the kitchen.
Yea if you have 4 ft id consider at least a 75 or so gallon tank

keithw283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I like the seapora tanks myself. Very well built and on the lower end when it comes to pricing. imo you can't tell the difference in glass quality unless the tanks are next to each other. My ceiling caved in on top of my 180 and that was 3 years ago. Tank still has water in it. I know you said spacing was part of your concern but if you have room to go a little bigger I'd personally go with seapora because they are much cheaper.

khuchting724

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon reefers,

I could use some advice on picking out a next tank. I have an aqueon rimmed 29 gallon tank with two clowns, a firefish, liverock, and some soft corals that are doing well. I am getting the itch to go bigger in order to have more fish and corals. I really like the rimless look of tanks like waterbox all in one aquariums like the 50.3 gallon (https://waterboxaquariums.com/products/aio-50-3). I understand that next Friday they may have some great sales. Can anyone recommend a tank around the 50 gallon range that is a good value? I have lights, powerhead, heaters and such already. I am trying to find a good tank in the price range of the waterbox 50.3 or cheaper ;) .

Is upgrading to a 50 gallon worth it in terms of the expense for the larger volume? I understand tangs need more space. This is a fish I would like to have but due to storage space, budget, and maintenance time I think a 50 gallon tank is about all I can handle. Are there any new things the larger tank could open up?

Any advice on whether an upgrade at this size is worth it and a recommendation model would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards and happy reefing,

Fishkins 88
I upgraded from a fluval evo to a Red Sea 300xl and loved it at first. It really did open up possibilities. However, I was always told the bigger the tank the less maintenance. I was proven wrong lol. I have a yellow tang in my tank and he loves it. I will say I love the smaller tank set up better, but it sounds like you understand there more maintenance that comes with the upgrade. I will say that with the bigger tank comes more room to do things with, so my issue now is my tank is not as lively towards the top part of the tank with all the space so make sure you get plenty of fish and try and get your landscape to go high with it your tank. How much is your budget?

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think a 120 is a 4' tank. Great footprint and good sized tank if you can afford to go that size. 4' by 25" by 25"... Also a 110 Extra High is a 4' tank, tall and somewhat narrow.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded from a fluval evo to a Red Sea 300xl and loved it at first. It really did open up possibilities. However, I was always told the bigger the tank the less maintenance. I was proven wrong lol. I have a yellow tang in my tank and he loves it. I will say I love the smaller tank set up better, but it sounds like you understand there more maintenance that comes with the upgrade. I will say that with the bigger tank comes more room to do things with, so my issue now is my tank is not as lively towards the top part of the tank with all the space so make sure you get plenty of fish and try and get your landscape to go high with it your tank. How much is your budget?
Please don’t encourage anyone to put a yellow tang in a 36”x 23” tank. MAYBE yours is fine, it may still be small, and you may have the perfect aquascape and tankmates for it. But everything I’ve read is 4’ long tank minimum for a yellow tang.

OP
OP
F

Fishkins88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I like the seapora tanks myself. Very well built and on the lower end when it comes to pricing. imo you can't tell the difference in glass quality unless the tanks are next to each other. My ceiling caved in on top of my 180 and that was 3 years ago. Tank still has water in it. I know you said spacing was part of your concern but if you have room to go a little bigger I'd personally go with seapora because they are much cheaper.
I had never heard of this brand. They look like upgraded Aqueons. The cabinet prices are great too. I factor this vendor in my purchase decision. Thank you

OP
OP
F

Fishkins88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don’t encourage anyone to put a yellow tang in a 36”x 23” tank. MAYBE yours is fine, it may still be small, and you may have the perfect aquascape and tankmates for it. But everything I’ve read is 4’ long tank minimum for a yellow tang.
I am definitely tracking that tangs need big tanks and even 4 feet is pushing it.

OP
OP
F

Fishkins88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Sea 300 xl is a gorgeous tank. I think at the moment is outside my budget. I think all in I need to keep it closer to $1000-1250 including any additional equipment I need to purchase such as the stand. I am tracking that a bigger tank can lead to more work. I am trying to see if there is a goldi lox size that people enjoy that is a little bigger than nano tanks but not so huge it takes up a lot of time and money to keep going. I appreciate all the responses. This is great info.

OP
OP
F

Fishkins88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to thank everyone for their input. This is very valuable advice and I appreciate the expertise and wide range of views shared. I am so thankful to get input like this before making a big purchase. Thank you again.

keithw283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had never heard of this brand. They look like upgraded Aqueons. The cabinet prices are great too. I factor this vendor in my purchase decision. Thank you
I will never get any tank that is not Seapora from here on out. Unless I get a deal on a used one. If you are getting new, I 100% recommend seapora. If used is an option for you I would look into that.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 197 70.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 53 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back