Res Sea Max E170 Sump Options

Masher76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I recently set up a Red Sea Max E170 and am looking at sump options. Red Sea sells a plumbing kit, as well as a combo package that includes a sump with the plumbing. However, after doing some research I am not terribly impressed with Red Sea’s sump. I would prefer to use something like this Trigger Ruby Cube 20 but am not sure about the plumbing. My primary goal is to have a refugium/sump and I don’t see the point in trying to make the one from Red Sea do something it’s not designed for. Not to mention the built in ATO that Red Sea has in their sump which I would not need as I am running a trusty Osmolator. Anyone have any idea or suggestions?

OP
OP
Masher76

Masher76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wound up purchasing a Trigger Systems Emerald 20C as well as a handful of plumbing options so that I can make plumbing decisions on the fly. I did have to pick up some Metric to Standard fittings to convert the Red Sea metric plumbing to standard sizes, Be forewarned that if you want to go this route you will need to pick up some Metric Standard Slip Couplings from CoralVue to attach the adapters from BRS to the Red Sea plumbing as the "adapters" sold by BRS are only conversion adapters and do not slip over the metric plumbing. If you read the reviews you will see this is an ongoing problem with BRS and for whatever reason they do not carry the couplings needed to make it all fit together.

With that said, I will likely wind up going with Braided Nylon Soft Tubing and Ratcheting Clamps that I picked up from BRS. This tubing is likely available from your local hardware store but I wanted to ensure I had the right sizes on hand. For those trying to plan ahead the larger pipes in the Red Sea Plumbing Kit are 32mm (1.26") and the smaller pipes are 25mm (0.98"). It amazed me that I could not find the pipe sizes anywhere online so hopefully this helps at least one other person should they decide to go this route.

I have all of the parts coming today and am planning on installing everything tomorrow. I will post the results here when I get it all figured out and am happy with the results.

BelleReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wound up purchasing a Trigger Systems Emerald 20C as well as a handful of plumbing options so that I can make plumbing decisions on the fly. I did have to pick up some Metric to Standard fittings to convert the Red Sea metric plumbing to standard sizes, Be forewarned that if you want to go this route you will need to pick up some Metric Standard Slip Couplings from CoralVue to attach the adapters from BRS to the Red Sea plumbing as the "adapters" sold by BRS are only conversion adapters and do not slip over the metric plumbing. If you read the reviews you will see this is an ongoing problem with BRS and for whatever reason they do not carry the couplings needed to make it all fit together.

With that said, I will likely wind up going with Braided Nylon Soft Tubing and Ratcheting Clamps that I picked up from BRS. This tubing is likely available from your local hardware store but I wanted to ensure I had the right sizes on hand. For those trying to plan ahead the larger pipes in the Red Sea Plumbing Kit are 32mm (1.26") and the smaller pipes are 25mm (0.98"). It amazed me that I could not find the pipe sizes anywhere online so hopefully this helps at least one other person should they decide to go this route.

I have all of the parts coming today and am planning on installing everything tomorrow. I will post the results here when I get it all figured out and am happy with the results.
How do you like the sump so far? I want to do something similar for my e170

OP
OP
Masher76

Masher76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like the sump so far? I want to do something similar for my e170
My first question would be what is goal for adding a sump? If you are looking at it from a more filtration orientated sump that adds water volume and gives you room for a much better skimmer then I would go with the one that Red Sea makes.
Now if you are aiming for a refugium in the sump, that is a whole different animal. The Triton sump I used had a dedicated refugium chamber inside. I have since gave my E170 and all of its kit to my business partner to make room for a 3 foot 75 by innovative marine. That tank is pretty well established but I am still struggling With get the refugium up and running properly.

BelleReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first question would be what is goal for adding a sump? If you are looking at it from a more filtration orientated sump that adds water volume and gives you room for a much better skimmer then I would go with the one that Red Sea makes.
Now if you are aiming for a refugium in the sump, that is a whole different animal. The Triton sump I used had a dedicated refugium chamber inside. I have since gave my E170 and all of its kit to my business partner to make room for a 3 foot 75 by innovative marine. That tank is pretty well established but I am still struggling With get the refugium up and running properly.
I wanted to try out a refugium with some marine pure blocks, but if that doesn’t work I would be interested in switching it to the zeovit system instead.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back