Rescaping a 15 gallon cube - thoughts and opinions welcomed

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I'm tearing down and rescaping my 15 gallon cube into a bare bottom tank, and I'm just... the worst at aquascaping.

I've put together several chunks of life rock into something that seems interesting to my eyes, and will be finishing the scape with several islands and maybe a small second stack made from live rock that was in the tank previously for 2 years. It's doing so well in its temp holding tank that it's seeded the dang plastic tub with copepods all over the sides. I am thrilled.

So here's some pics and a video to try and give the best view. I was trying to hit a height somewhere around 9-10 inches so previous PAR readings would at least be ballpark similar, and the tank is 15 inches cubed. Stock list is 2 clowns and a royal gramma, and a variety of corals. The black ABS will be going under the rocks, but with the rough side up - not shown here. I didn't want to scratch and cut it up prematurely.

20231221_160057.jpg
20231221_160142.jpg

20231221_161802.jpg

I have a lot of rock, including all of the rock from the previous scape which is sitting cleaned in a bucket of fresh saltwater to churn and cook off a little. No terribly interesting shapes, they're all mostly chunky and round from the very first scape I did a couple of years ago.

Thoughts? While it is fairly stable right now, I'd be securing everything with epoxy putty and the somewhat narrow base was intentional to give me plenty of floor space for corals on the bare bottom.

OP
OP
Narideth

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20231221_162701.jpg

20231221_163030.jpg

Optional even narrower base. The blue of my tank's lights is really blowing these pictures out. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

OP
OP
Narideth

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other questions - does this seem like there's enough surface area for corals?

Are there enough hidey holes or overhangs for fish? I could make a small cave addon island as well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back