Resealing Red Sea Max 130

Indiana Jones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased my first saltwater aquarium. It is the Red Sea Max 130. I found it on marketplace and seemed like a great deal. After cleaning it up and filling with water I noticed a very small leak that would pool up slightly behind the control panel. I think it is leaking on the side and following the tank base pooling underneath the electronics cover. It is a very small leak. I could reseal the inner tank, but I am not sure how to go about resealing the filtration part in the back with the tight space. Does anyone have any experience with resealing all in one tanks like these? Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

OP
OP
I

Indiana Jones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the parts diagram to give you a better perspective:
RSM130 Parts Diagram.PNG

The leak was forming behind the control panel here:
Leak in control compartment.jpg

I decided to fill up the filter compartment with water and there was no leaks.

Filter comparment.jpg

So the leak was coming from the main tank seal somewhere. I decided to get some supplies from Lowes:

Supplies.jpg
And then I began removing all of the silicone on the inside tank.

silicone removed.jpg

silicone removed 2.jpg

silicone removed 3.jpg

silicone removed 4.jpg

I used the caulk tool from Lowes and a flat razor blade to remove all the silicone, and I used 91% Alcohol with a paper towel to wipe it down. Then I added tape:

tape.jpg

tape 2.jpg

tape 3.jpg

tape 4.jpg

I spaced the tape out roughly 2x the glass width. The spacing was probably too large but I wanted the seal to be good.. After the tape was down I applied the silicone:

New silicone.jpg

new silicone 2.jpg

new silicone 3.jpg

new silicone 4.jpg

I tried to apply the silicone quickly because I wanted to remove the tape before the silicone started to cure. I applied a generous amount, but it was too large to spread evenly with my finger. It doesn't look as nice as I would have liked, but the seal should be good I hope.. After doing this I received the tip to wet your finger when spreading it evenly. I will do this next time for sure. I will let this cure for a few days before adding water. I will let you know how it goes. silicone removed 4.jpg

Last edited:

wildtypitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it still holding? I just purchased the same tank for £30. Noticed a small leak after leaving it overnight. In exactly the same place as your leak. See some DIY looking sealant in the power chamber. The thought of having to reseal the sump areas is a bit daunting. So I'll test them independently. Do you think it's a design flaw? I constructed a cabinet for it from Ann old oak kitchen countertop. Can't be sure of complete flatness of the top, I presume the plastic base will take up some of this slack but maybe it needs a foam mat also, see pic of thank empty. Definitely a couple of mm gap in the edge.
20231001_125516.jpg
20231001_125143.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 28 82.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.8%
Back