Resetting a Quarantine Tank after use

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I unfortunately had two fish die at the beginning of quarantine due to an unknown sickness. I believe it was ich that didn't show up externally as the fish were young. I want to reset the tank so I can get new fish. When resetting it due to a fish having a disease, do you have to take everything out, or will the copper kill anything harmful left by the previous fish?

I am having my carpets replaced soon and have to mostly drain the tank to move it anyway, so could I drain it almost completely, or should I strip everything down? Thank you!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I unfortunately had two fish die at the beginning of quarantine due to an unknown sickness. I believe it was ich that didn't show up externally as the fish were young. I want to reset the tank so I can get new fish. When resetting it due to a fish having a disease, do you have to take everything out, or will the copper kill anything harmful left by the previous fish?

I am having my carpets replaced soon and have to mostly drain the tank to move it anyway, so could I drain it almost completely, or should I strip everything down? Thank you!
i assume you are referring to the quarantine tank and if so, drain it down and wash it down with bleach/water solution and cold water rinse until you cant smell the bleach or Vinegar/water solution and reset the tank

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After bleach/water solution and rinse clear, I always let it sit outside in the Sun for a couple of days and use Prime dechlorinator for safe measures.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i assume you are referring to the quarantine tank and if so, drain it down and wash it down with bleach/water solution and cold water rinse until you cant smell the bleach or Vinegar/water solution and reset the tank
Just to make this clear - don't use bleach - and then vinegar. If you start with bleach and there is some left - it can cause toxic gas formation

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I
Just to make this clear - don't use bleach - and then vinegar. If you start with bleach and there is some left - it can cause toxic gas formation
It was either or
I did use OR

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use white vinegar?

Vinegar is overrated as a way to sterilize aquariums.

Normally, you do not need to sterilize a QT between use, as anything the fish had at the end of a quarantine cycle has been moved to your DT anyway. The only exception is in your case here - where the fish died from an unknown issue BEFORE completing quarantine, then you DO need to strip the tank down and sterilize it.

500 ppm bleach works well for that, but be aware than most bleach products found in stores now have surfactants, perfumes etc added, and you should not use those. GFS still sells regular 5.25% bleach that is good to use.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back