restarting a very old RKL

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'll be re-setting up my RKL soon. I only have 2 of the power-strips for it. I need a new temp probe and 2 new strips. But its been years since I hooked the thing up to the computer. I don't have the instructions, and I haven't a clue how to set the thing up anymore!!!

I do remember vaguely how to program the individual strips (okay, that part is pretty simple)

What steps am I going to have to take to upgrade this whole thing? Anyone? It hasn't been upgraded in 3+ years.

ermartin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
download the software before applying power plug all the devices in 1 by 1 to the computer and check and see if they need firmware upgrades. hook them all together plug in to wall and set them all up using the software

ermartin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
download the software before applying power plug all the devices in 1 by 1 to the computer and check and see if they need firmware upgrades. hook them all together plug in to wall and set them all up using the software
you also need to make sure you have the 2.0 dongle to hook it up to a computer or you wont be able to upgrade the firmware to the latest. you would need to purchase that or borrow from someone that has one

OP
OP
Lowstorm

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! I'll have to buy new ones. I don't think anyone's running them up here. Thanks!!!

OP
OP
Lowstorm

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, pricing it out... $60 for just the SID (dongle thinggie) and a new temp probe.. Or I can just get a new head unit, temp probe, SID, etc etc for $130...

Think I'm just going to buy the new unit, and upgrade my old outlets when it gets here. Seems way simpler that way! ...then again, I could get the entire elite system, and have everything that I don't REALLY need but looks pretty.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do know about their Archon. That is their new controller. The modules are compatible.

OP
OP
Lowstorm

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I do... but I'm not that technically advanced. I'd die trying to keep track of my tank when I'm at work. Luckily I only work 4 days a week, and only 2 of them are long days. I already don't really do vacations, so I'm home almost all the time. No need for fancy-schmancy stuff like that. I'm more hands on.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is OK. I just wanted to make sure you were aware of it. The good thing is the modules are compatible. So it is easy to upgrade to the other controller.

OP
OP
Lowstorm

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It WOULD be really nice, but its just an expense I couldn't make. $130 vs 500+ is a big difference. I'd rather just get the RKL that I'm used to. It does look like a really nice controller though.

pondman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used a reef keeper lite for years now I've never had an issue and the price is right as well.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 14 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 115 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back