Restarting my 225 3' x 5' x 2' After 4 years

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reefing for over ten years now. But about 3 years ago I had a major setback. I moved from Missouri to Alabama in 2012 and successfully moved my entire reef. Then when planning a local move there was a major mistake at the utility company and they prematurely shut off power at my house. I had sold off some corals prior to this mishap to some local Huntsville reefers in anticipation of the move but lost alot of livestock. This was in Nov 2012. I have finally settled down in a permanent house in Harvest and am rebuilding and setting up my tank. With all the moving and storage time the acrylic was in bad shape so first order of business was to completely refinish the tank. Fist i started sanding with 400 grit, then 600 then 1000 then 1500 and finally 2000 grit wet dry paper. Then polished with Novus acrylic polish.
IMG_1720.JPG
IMG_1721.JPG
IMG_1729.JPG

I have just started setting up the plumbing. I have 3 ea. 2" drains and 5 ea. 1" returns for a closed loop recirculating system powered by Reeflo Hammerhead pump. Still setting up sump and return pumps. I have a MRC2R skimmer but will need to buy a new pump for this as the one I have is seized up. I will need to get some live rock to seed the system once things are filled and running I may ask someone in the Huntsville area to help me out with that?. I have a few hundred pounds of dry rock that I salvaged from the old system. Updates to come as I make progress.

eric.battani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to hobby! That is a beautiful tank. Can't wait to see it up and running. I can help you out with some rock to seed with whenever you're ready. If you need anything else, just ask. You have a lot of friendly reefers in your area. Happy New Year! And new reef!

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After sanding I first used the Novus 3 and then followed with the Novus 2. I did not use the Novus 1 because based on the application instructions it says to apply, let dry and then buff. This worried me that it may leave some residue like a car wax that may not be fish and coral safe so this is only polished with 3 and 2.

Eric thanks for the rock offer I will let you know when I'm ready. I'm sure it will be a few weeks to get everything plumbed and operational.

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to the hobby. Good luck in getting it all started. I have some live rock if you need any more.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been busy these last couple weeks but managed to get some things done. I sent my Reeflo Hammerhead pump off to the factory for rebuilding what great service $150.00 dollars including shipping and the things like new again.
Started plumbing so far 1 return pump hooked up and a couple of drain lines in. I'm planning on adding freshwater for a leak and circulation test this weekend.
IMG_0077.JPG

The Artwork is courtesy of my Grandaughter she loves to hang out with Papa while I work.
IMG_0076.jpg

The underside with plumbing started and sump in place.
My return pumps are 2 Coralife 1270's that I cleaned with vinegar. Them seem to be working great. This should provide approx. 1500 GPH on the return and somewhere around 4-5k GPH on the closed loop.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Project is coming along. As of tonight Closed loop, Sump and returns are all plumbed. I have started making RODI water and started filling the tank with fresh water for testing of the plumbing system. next project is too hang the lights but I'm trying to decide what lights too use. I have 2 Outer Orbit fixtures with each having 2ea. 250 watt MH and 4ea. 36" T5 so this would be 1000 watt Mh and 308 watts of T5 , My other option is I have 3ea 150 watt chinese Black Box LED's.
IMG_1746.JPG

IMG_1745.JPG

IMG_1747.JPG

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Project is coming along. As of tonight Closed loop, Sump and returns are all plumbed. I have started making RODI water and started filling the tank with fresh water for testing of the plumbing system. next project is too hang the lights but I'm trying to decide what lights too use. I have 2 Outer Orbit fixtures with each having 2ea. 250 watt MH and 4ea. 36" T5 so this would be 1000 watt Mh and 308 watts of T5 , My other option is I have 3ea 150 watt chinese Black Box LED's.
IMG_1746.JPG

IMG_1745.JPG

IMG_1747.JPG
Nice!!

I vote for metal halide with T5's. I used to have all LED on my tanks, and I switched to T5's on my nano to try them out. I like the color way better. Now I want to get metal halide and T5's for my large tank.

And I think you should read the third word of your post, maybe autocorrect, or something else ;)

I would make it bold in the quote but don't know how to do that from my phone

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!!

I vote for metal halide with T5's. I used to have all LED on my tanks, and I switched to T5's on my nano to try them out. I like the color way better. Now I want to get metal halide and T5's for my large tank.

And I think you should read the third word of your post, maybe autocorrect, or something else ;)

I would make it bold in the quote but don't know how to do that from my phone

Yes that auto correct will get you if not careful. Now it won’t let me edit I gues I need to become a supporting member so I can fix it

I am leaning toward Halide and T5 just got to order a couple hundred dollars in new bulbs

I also have a 6 bulb T5 fixture so I am thinking the Halide T5 combos on the outside and the T5 fixture in the center. This would give me a ton of light and a lot of options on bulbs.

eric.battani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im a huge fan of MH but sadly true 20k 150w bulbs are getting harder to come by. So unfortunately after running them for years, last week I made the switch to radions. Time will tell I made a good call or not. If I didn't, I guess I will have to get use to 14k Phoenix bulbs. Still can't believe I made the switch.

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to seeing this tank come together

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking start to the setup! I see lots of OLD SCHOOL in this setup. However, dont rule out LED. in most cases, the benefits will outweigh the costs. a well done LED system with Radion or Hydras will really let this setup shine. many then supplement with some T-5 to fill in any Gaps.

btw, I have some old Reeflo Hammerhead and Dart seals in my garage. new in the packets still. if you need them, LMK.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking start to the setup! I see lots of OLD SCHOOL in this setup. However, dont rule out LED. in most cases, the benefits will outweigh the costs. a well done LED system with Radion or Hydras will really let this setup shine. many then supplement with some T-5 to fill in any Gaps.

btw, I have some old Reeflo Hammerhead and Dart seals in my garage. new in the packets still. if you need them, LMK.

Its definitely Old School. Most of this equipment I purchased 10+ years back at which time it was premium stuff, and had set up for 6-7 years. Since then it has been in storage. Most everything is in good working order. I actually purchased Chinese Black Box LED's about 6 years back when they were the new thing. There were few LED's back then. I used those LED's for a couple of years with good success. I had good SPS growth at that time so I am not against the LED's I actually like the ability to adjust light intensity and lack of heat. The heat of 1000 watts of Halide creates its own problems.
I now have the water at about 3/4 full and the Reeflo Hammerhead that I sent back for rebuild is working great with No leaks. I should have it full by tonight as the RODI is filling my Brute trash cans day and night. This thing is approx. 300 gal with tank and sump so 50 gal a day takes a while. I should be adding salt by Friday then start cycling. This weekend I will be cleaning up the room and adding FRP covering on the stand.

Pickupmann thanks for the offer of seals. I very well may need them in the future. I am not far away. I am near Huntsville AL. and I get up to Tims Ford Lake at least a couple times a year for fishing so I may contact you and see if we can meet up.

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am absolutely in love with tanks that have these sort of dimensions. If I ever have the room for one like it that is the direction I will go, was hoping to do a 6' by 3' by 2' one day. Beautiful tank! Cant wait to see this one up and running.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on tank progress. Sorry been a little slow lately I got that nasty flu bug and it set me back a week or so. The plumbing is all complete and working great with No leaks. The Bean Animal overflow is almost completely silent. I put in 4ea. 40lb. bags of Ocean Direct live sand last night so tank is still cloudy this morning. I also added a bottle of DR. Tims live bacteria and some Coraline to seed the rock as it is way too white for my taste.
IMG_0085.JPG

I did hang 1 of my LED black boxes and will be hanging the second one today. I also have a 6 lite T5 on the tank but not sure if that will stay. I think I have decided that 1 of my fixtures that has 2ea. 250 MH and 4ea. T5's will go over the center with the LEDS on the ends.
Below is pic of bean overflow but may be hard to see. I love the Bean setup it is silent and foolproof.
IMG_0086.JPG

Right now pumps are off trying to get sand to settle out.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am absolutely in love with tanks that have these sort of dimensions. If I ever have the room for one like it that is the direction I will go, was hoping to do a 6' by 3' by 2' one day. Beautiful tank! Cant wait to see this one up and running.
I did not have room either and my wife is not real fond of my tanks so I built a building out behind the house near our pool. It has a bathroom on one end and my workshop and tank room on the other end. This is a view of the building. Please excuse the mess around it I have been working on tank.
IMG_0089.JPG

Below is My 5000 Gal Koi pond it is 12' x 16' x 50" deep. I built every bit of all of this myself over the last 2 years its been quite the project.
IMG_0090.JPG

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 93 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back