OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m seeing brown algae mixed with the Cyano today.
6684E28C-4468-40FB-9C7D-B7E4D9CE8AC7.jpeg

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure what’s going on with my water parameters. I’m back to dosing the same amount as before they went empty. My calcium is 447, ALK 7dkh. I have been adding ALK daily above the dosing pump amount but it’s still dropping.

Will diatoms use more ALK than calcium?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure what’s going on with my water parameters. I’m back to dosing the same amount as before they went empty. My calcium is 447, ALK 7dkh. I have been adding ALK daily above the dosing pump amount but it’s still dropping.

Will diatoms use more ALK than calcium?

Diatoms don't use appreciable alk or calcium.

The current values seem fine to me.

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms don't use appreciable alk or calcium.

The current values seem fine to me.
So for the last few days I’ve been trying to get the ALK up to 8.5 by adding aqua forest KH buffer. I would add a good size dose and Hanna checker an hour later. It won’t budge. Just went to my LFS and they got ALK 7.3, Calcium 400, Mag 1410. I just tested No3 3.4, phosphate 0.76.

Should I stop trying to raise ALK? Can I dose extra Core7 to boost all parameters?

BoriReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemiclean treatment wouldn’t hurt. It’s a proven method to eradicate cyano.

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I got myself a three pack of Triton ICP tests but only one DOC test.

Question 1: What are some tips for taking the samples? Like what time of day, how long after a 30% water change, before or after feeding and anything else I’m not thinking of?

Question 2: should I send in the DOC test with the first ICP or wait till the third?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question 1: What are some tips for taking the samples? Like what time of day, how long after a 30% water change, before or after feeding and anything else I’m not thinking of?

Question 2: should I send in the DOC test with the first ICP or wait till the third?

@taricha do you have any pro tips for ICP testing? Another question on my last post should I run DE filters before the test?

If I'm doing an ICP test, I want a look at what the stable long-term look of my tank water is. So I'd do it before a water change and before a daily feeding. Also there are more organisms that go planktonic at night, so I would sample after several hours of lights on.

I would not add a DE filter just for the test, it seems just as likely to introduce complications through soluble elements as remove particulate complications. I would probably use a syringe filter if I could get my hands on one, I use 0.22 or 0.45 micron syringe filters available from amazon. I would also run a decent amount of water through the filter first before putting the samples into it. I don't think the filtration is super important, but sometimes anomalous results get blamed on particulates/ organisms making it into the ICP machine plasma.

"Pro tip" I guess would be to send two samples, but not at the same time. Take one and send it, and take another a day or two later and send it (and don't do anything weird in between.)
Therefore, any differences will reflect either day-to-day variation in the tank water, which you don't care about - or it will reflect the day-to-day variation in the ICP machine calibration, cleaning, recalibration, etc that you also don't care about.
In essence it lets you get a sense of the sizes of the combined variations between your system and theirs that should be considered when thinking about what your results can really tell you about your tank water.

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm doing an ICP test, I want a look at what the stable long-term look of my tank water is. So I'd do it before a water change and before a daily feeding. Also there are more organisms that go planktonic at night, so I would sample after several hours of lights on.

I would not add a DE filter just for the test, it seems just as likely to introduce complications through soluble elements as remove particulate complications. I would probably use a syringe filter if I could get my hands on one, I use 0.22 or 0.45 micron syringe filters available from amazon. I would also run a decent amount of water through the filter first before putting the samples into it. I don't think the filtration is super important, but sometimes anomalous results get blamed on particulates/ organisms making it into the ICP machine plasma.

"Pro tip" I guess would be to send two samples, but not at the same time. Take one and send it, and take another a day or two later and send it (and don't do anything weird in between.)
Therefore, any differences will reflect either day-to-day variation in the tank water, which you don't care about - or it will reflect the day-to-day variation in the ICP machine calibration, cleaning, recalibration, etc that you also don't care about.
In essence it lets you get a sense of the sizes of the combined variations between your system and theirs that should be considered when thinking about what your results can really tell you about your tank water.
Thank you so much for this advice. I will send in two samples like you say. What about the DOC test I only have 1. Should I get a second one and send in two DOC with the ICP’s also?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back