Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But....how many Reefers don't dose at all given the expense, potential toxicity, and all the unknowns. And just do 20% water changes bimonthly. With good mechanical filtration and chaeto.

I come across more reefers that don't dose trace vs those who do, but who knows the actual statistics. If you do routine water changes you'll get your trace, but as mentioned, I don't do water changes and i've seen zero impact on my system from dosing trace vs not. I don't think theres enough data to substantiate concrete evidence of corals needing such trace elements to survive/thrive. Like I said... peace of mind.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R Balling method this will take care of pretty much what you need. What are you testing with?

OP
OP
drblakjak55

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks jsker. Read this article. I'm looking to create stability.
Water change is a painless process takes twenty minutes.
Refugium chaeto growing great guns with my Home Depot halogen grow light. Eliminated the GFO. Will send out for a complete water test soon. See where we're at. I believe there are good studies that show better growth at a ph of 8.3. Kh at 8.1 by Hanna. I can't get above 8.0 to 8.1. But I'm not trying too hard. CA 410. Mg 1350. Question is need to drive alkalinity up??

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My PH has been low for the past two months, due to New having a new A/C system install. The installers did a good job almost too good:) The reason I bring this up is even though I have a fresh air line from my skimmer drawing outside air in and having the A/C so closed up now my PH when from a consistent 8.1 to 8.25 down to a 7.5 to 7.7. I did add a Co2 scrubber and the PH went up a little bit to 7.8. I am going to add a fresh air duct to the return and this should take care of my house Co2 level by drawing in fresh air. With higher PH levels the Alk will also go up. This is one thing to look into, what is the system breathing? Have you tried opening a window?

@Randy Holmes-Farley goes into PH and resolves in the article link am if Randy has time he may offer his thoughts. You could try Kalkwasser for you PH. I am dosing Alk supplement via the balling method. Dosing a alk supplement and kalkwasser would bring up your alk and PH. I have also dosed baking soda in the past and the brought up both my alk and PH but it was had to keep consistent.

OP
OP
drblakjak55

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a fan blowing past the skimmer/refugium all night.
Wow. 7.5. Is that emergency territory? My 8.1 is sounding better.

OP
OP
drblakjak55

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hogan mentions twenty drops iodide into 90G tank could be too much for the newer SPS. Wasn't aware. So kids don't add what you haven't tested. I'll Send away water to Triton, API, or other???

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 64 34.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back