Retracted Duncan

  • Thread starter Thread starter stevedq
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

stevedq

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 19, 2025
Messages
3
Reaction score
2
Location
San Diego
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a branching Duncan in my tank.
I admit to issues with phosphates
Been as high as 0.05 and I’m getting them under control.
0.03 this week
Still working on the algae
This one Duncan has been really retracted for about a month and now it started to have the tissue extended, but where are the tentacles?
Just looking for a bit of advice
I swear it’s not a trumpet- promise


20260911_125523_C6476FBF-ACAA-48A9-9533-E3DE0AFDB4AA.png
 
cant say ive seen that before, it almost looks like its growing new ones? odd
what flow/lighting are they in?
anything possibly stinging them or any fish irritating?
 
The flow is decent. I’ve got a powerhead each end of the tank. It’s 4 feet long.
Duncan’s about 16 inches from it have their tentacles blowing around
There’s nothing next to it except for a few Zoas on the ground
The fish may be annoying it, but it was fine for about a year- Same fish.
Last I checked a par meter it was about 200 in that area
 
The flow is decent. I’ve got a powerhead each end of the tank. It’s 4 feet long.
Duncan’s about 16 inches from it have their tentacles blowing around
There’s nothing next to it except for a few Zoas on the ground
The fish may be annoying it, but it was fine for about a year- Same fish.
Last I checked a par meter it was about 200 in that area
odd maybe its just being dramatic towards the water parameters? that's really the only reason I could think of
 
A lot of your zoa's are also closed. How long have you had the duncan and the zoa's? What is your lighting like?
 
My duncans have always been dramatic due to water parameters. Have you tested recently, and what were your levels?

Recent hard swings? Again, in my experience my duncans have been very dramatic with swings.
 
Just saw your mention about phospahtes. I personally wouldn't call those levels problematic for a duncan (mine are very happy at 0.1). But rapidly swinging has caused issues for me.

I'd be interested in recent alk changes as well.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 29.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new