Return Line: 1 or 2 outlets

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For an overflow box with 3-holes, (1-main drain, 1-emergency drain,1-return line) do you think it is really necessary to "T" off the return? I have a SCA 120 which I'm going to be re-plumbing soon. The picture below is from SCA's website and their suggested setup. The overflow box has 2x 1/2 holes on the Left and Right sides at the top of the box for return Loc-Lines. Instead of a "T" like the picture below, I'm considering doing one 90-degree instead. Thoughts?
Reason being:
1. For ease of use to pull out the main/emergency drain pipes, the "T"would be in the way and make it hard to pull out the drain pipes for cleaning or if a fish ends up in the overflow. This seems like it would be a big hassle with the "T" in the way, unless I'm missing something?
2. This is a distant second, my VCA random flow nozzle would have twice as much flow coming out with only one return line instead of two lines, and get more random flow out of the nozzle. This is a distant second because, I have plenty of random flow from powerheads.

Only one return with No T inside of the overflow box, would leave an empty 1/2" hole on one side of the oveflow box which I could either 1. Do nothing or 2. plumb in a very small independent return pump which I could run when I'm out of town as redundancy.

The plumbing I do below the overflow will be completely different than this pictures, I'm using mostly PVC with unions and gate valve on the main drain.
1634882599598.png

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back