Return line question

Justfbilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 gallon drilled tank with a corner return. I have always questioned why they would have the return line plumed in font of the inlet of the overflow? It seems to me that this design would make the system very inefficient due to location of the return line? Has any one moved the return line or modified the return line to try and move it away from the inlet? Just looking for any tips or ideas.
Thanks in advance!

T720233.jpg

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't thrilled with two return lines coming up thru my center overflow. I re-drilled them one size up to install a BeanAnimal drain system. I then drilled new returns in the back glass at opposite corners. I am pretty happy with this configuration.

zieg9479

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
125 owner here. I personally like having my return come up from the bottom, and it doesn't bother me that the return would be plumbed next to the drain.
But, my beef with this setup is the single drain...I ended up following the herbie method and ran my return up the back. It isn't as clean as coming up into the overflow.
At any rate, the reef-readys are constraining and many people like tearing them out and drilling up a different overflow system. On the other hand, I preferred getting up and going asap so I just ran with it.

reefguy565

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with these guys up top.. DO NOT have only 1 drain. If that gets clogged you SOL... your tank can over flow and thats the end of that. User both holes to make a main and a backup and either drill the back of the tank so you have a 3/4 return or cheap route do a over the tank return. thats why i am choosing to drill the tank myself and go with a ghost overflow box.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 6.0%
Back