Return plumbing on my Red Sea reefer 350

JPR1212

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. So I just bought this Red Sea reefer 350 g2. When I bought It, I decided to add on some extra things from Red Sea like the reef run5500 return pump. I got the tank, have it all set up, and when I went to add the return pump I realize it’s missing and never came in the accessories box I got (skimmer,reefwave,controllers and everything else was in that box). Now I’m waiting on a pump to be sent by red sea, but in the mean time I wanted to ask since this is my first tank with the sump. How should I go about plumbing the return pump into the hard line supplied from Red Sea? Would you just use flexible tubing? And in terms of security what do you use like hose clamps to keep everything from slipping off and spraying water everywhere? Information on this would be great. Thank you all for your time!

Marquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's completely up to you. Using hard plumbing or flexible tubing will work great. A lot of people prefer the look of one vs the other. Absolutely use hose clamps where you can.

I'm surprised Red Sea didn't set you up with a return plumbing kit to go with the return pump.

OP
OP
JPR1212

JPR1212

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's completely up to you. Using hard plumbing or flexible tubing will work great. A lot of people prefer the look of one vs the other. Absolutely use hose clamps where you can.

I'm surprised Red Sea didn't set you up with a return plumbing kit to go with the return pump.
ok sounds good! I’ll probably stick to flex line then. Any specific kind I should be looking for? Also any specific kind hose clamps people typically use? And yea it is a bummer was hoping to get the tank up and running today might go see if I can get another return pump locally even if it’s not from Red Sea. Any recommendations on some (if so please be specific on model for the Red Sea 350) ?

Marquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok sounds good! I’ll probably stick to flex line then. Any specific kind I should be looking for? Also any specific kind hose clamps people typically use? And yea it is a bummer was hoping to get the tank up and running today might go see if I can get another return pump locally even if it’s not from Red Sea. Any recommendations on some (if so please be specific on model for the Red Sea 350) ?
Any decent size LFS should be able to hook you with everything you need.

I googled the tank and dimensions are listed so you can use those to help you.

When I use flexible tubing, my overflow/drain goes into this grey one. Then most return pumps use the same hosing - I’ll include pic from my 80g because I’m not great at explaining

IMG_1726.jpeg

Grey hose is return, clear is from the return pump in sump. Would want to use hose clamps here too, I just don’t because this tank isn’t running

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back