Return plumbing

Clarkjw2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently planning out the return lines for my 400 gal build. Main tank is 315 gal and the refugium is 125 gal. These tanks will be fed off the same pump. The return pump outlet is 1.25" and I plan to reduce the two return lines to 1" each.

I plan to split the line off the pump with a wye. My question is: should I use a 1.25" wye and reduce both lines to 1" immediately after or is reducing the return line to 1" just before the wye and using a 1"wye sufficient? The latter was my original plan but I am trying to minimize head loss as much as possible. All turns in the return lines will be with 45s. Thanks.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll bump your question and give a couple of thoughts.
On my 180 I used 1 return pump and a T. I intended to plumb the T into the center of my tank return line for equal pressure but just because of configuration or whatever I didn’t. I can tell a little more flow exits the shorter line. Also on my tank an added a ball valve so that I could do maintenance and or equalize the flow between the two.

I know I didn’t answer your question but I personally wouldn’t think it would matter when you decrease the size.
IMG_3311.jpeg
IMG_3315.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back