return pump brands

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a good quality and affordable pump, then Koralia 3rd generation is often very much appreciated.

If you want something that gives you flexibility and that you can control via wifi, AI Nero is a good choice, but more expensive.

eta : nevermind, you want a pump, not a powerhead.

highest_tides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After some comparison I'm gonna go with jabao for now since the objective is to get the tank running so it can cycle. Its just a crutch and if it ever craps out i'll probably go for another water pump. I'm eyeing Sicce's wifi pumps they don't seem bad now after learning about 3x - 5x return pump flow.

I do understand some chinese companies have done some shady things. Its not good but I got to make my money stretch for me. @blaxsun thank you for the tid bit of knowledge. I wasn't aware return pump rule of thumb was 3x - 5x of display tank.
ive had two running 24/7 for a year now

OP
OP
L

Littlesquishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a good quality and affordable pump, then Koralia 3rd generation is often very much appreciated.

If you want something that gives you flexibility and that you can control via wifi, AI Nero is a good choice, but more expensive.

eta : nevermind, you want a pump, not a powerhead.
I do have two maxspect gyre in mind. I'm planning to get two. Two gyres and one controller that goes with it.

Earlier I was asking about return flow whether I should drill one or two holes for it. I was able to find my answer in a thread that was worded differently than my search. Basically what I got was having two return flows exerted more work on the return pump. One will work and you will get more power through it. Another pro is I only have to drill one additional hole instead of two. The two gyres should produce enough flow on top of the return flow.

The return pump i'm set on jebao for now. I'll switch to another brand if it dies. I'm expecting to keep the tank running for 4 - 6 years. Afterwards i'll upgrade to a larger tank and hopefully be able to still use some equipment I have now.

Kayanarka

Peg Leg Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for an ultra quite return pump and this thread came up in my pre post search. I am interested in the most quite pump I can get for my 425XL. I started looking at sicce based on this thread and I found the Syncra Quiet on their website. This looks like an A/C pump for European power (240VAC). So I am curious to ask now, what is the most silent pump I can find for my 425XL. I think I have an older Sicce in there now, A/C pump. It is pretty quite until the hard line touches the sump. I am wanting to find a silicon hose for it. My other thought is if I find a new pump, I can keep the current one as a back up.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for an ultra quite return pump and this thread came up in my pre post search. I am interested in the most quite pump I can get for my 425XL. I started looking at sicce based on this thread and I found the Syncra Quiet on their website. This looks like an A/C pump for European power (240VAC). So I am curious to ask now, what is the most silent pump I can find for my 425XL. I think I have an older Sicce in there now, A/C pump. It is pretty quite until the hard line touches the sump. I am wanting to find a silicon hose for it. My other thought is if I find a new pump, I can keep the current one as a back up.
Tunze 1073.040 is what I run on my 120. I run 2 ball valves. One for the return and one teed off to a remote fuge.
You can not hear it running.

OP
OP
L

Littlesquishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could look for dc pumps. There are also other things you can do to a/c pumps or dc to lessen the noise if you happen to hear it. You could put a bag of sand or put a material under the pump to absorb vibrations that come from the pump.

I looked specifically for DC because people say they are quiet and the tank will be in my bed room. I'm motivated to reduce sound because of the tank's location.

Kayanarka

Peg Leg Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could look for dc pumps. There are also other things you can do to a/c pumps or dc to lessen the noise if you happen to hear it. You could put a bag of sand or put a material under the pump to absorb vibrations that come from the pump.

I looked specifically for DC because people say they are quiet and the tank will be in my bed room. I'm motivated to reduce sound because of the tank's location.
I like the idea of the DC pump. Electricity is so expensive where I live, and I like the adjustment on a panel instead of having to remove the pump and turning the valve.

That being said I worry about seeing many reports of DC pump failure, or flow not being consistent. I have a Sicce DC on my RS250 now and I have mixed feelings about it. One thing that freaked my out is default is off when first plugged in. I would think you would want default to be on, not off. I am happy with the noise output.

Tunze 1073.040 is what I run on my 120. I run 2 ball valves. One for the return and one teed off to a remote fuge.
This seems to get some pretty good reviews, but is it not sold by BRS?

It's so tough to choose because of how difficult it is to remove and return if it is not right. Thanks for the advice.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of the DC pump. Electricity is so expensive where I live, and I like the adjustment on a panel instead of having to remove the pump and turning the valve.

That being said I worry about seeing many reports of DC pump failure, or flow not being consistent. I have a Sicce DC on my RS250 now and I have mixed feelings about it. One thing that freaked my out is default is off when first plugged in. I would think you would want default to be on, not off. I am happy with the noise output.

This seems to get some pretty good reviews, but is it not sold by BRS?

It's so tough to choose because of how difficult it is to remove and return if it is not right. Thanks for the advice.
The reason I run Tunze is they last.
I have 3 6105's that are over 12 years old and are still running.
I run a smaller Tunze return pump on my frag system.

Kayanarka

Peg Leg Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I run Tunze is they last.
I have 3 6105's that are over 12 years old and are still running.
I run a smaller Tunze return pump on my frag system.
The Tunze sound nice. They have this DC pump that looks like it has an analog control box. Wonder if anyone has experience with it?

@Kayanarka You could get Jebao, its a cheap DC pump with a pump controller. I'm going cheap route. Eventually for a bigger tank (200 gallon?) i'll get a better pump (DC).
I think I saw your thread tonight. I would consider the one I own right now my cheap pump. I am hunting ideas for a quite replacement and want to save my current pump as a back up for my two tanks.

Haha dude. This is that thread... OK time for bed.

Last edited:

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look for a silent (not quiet) return pump, reliable and virtually maintenance free, The Red Dragon from Royal Exclusiv is hard to beat (may be by Abyzz, but they are incredible expensive).

When I bought mine I carried out this test in a quiet environment. Fill a bucket with water, connect a hose to the exit of the pump. Submerge both the pump and the free end of the hose. Connect the pump and set it to minimum speed. Do you hear it? Increase the speed until maximum. Do you hear it?

If the answer to both questions is no, then you have a silent pump.

By virtually maintenance free I mean clean it once or twice a year, as much.

Hope it may help you

Back