Return pump causing micro bubbles

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgraded my pump in in Nuvo 20 concept last night to an Eheim compact that produces roughly 210-220gph. The third chamber has more than enough water in it but every minute or two the pump spits out a cluster of micro bubbles. Anyone know why this is happening or how I can fix it?

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try leveling your tank. There is a baffle that runs horizontal in the back of your aio. Air can and does get trapped under there. That is until there is enough to release the bubble. That baffle is directly beside where your return pump is. You could also be sucking air at the hose connections. I sumped my 14 peninsula with a bean animal because of this. Eventually I disconnected everything and plugged the holes I drilled because of space). But got out my level and corrected it the right way.

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try leveling your tank. There is a baffle that runs horizontal in the back of your aio. Air can and does get trapped under there. That is until there is enough to release the bubble. That baffle is directly beside where your return pump is. You could also be sucking air at the hose connections. I sumped my 14 peninsula with a bean animal because of this. Eventually I disconnected everything and plugged the holes I drilled because of space). But got out my level and corrected it the right way.
The tank is currently level. This only started when I added the new pump. The stock pump was very noisy and IM wouldn’t replace it so I through on a smaller pump and it was fine but I wanted to get back into the 200gph range

Ah but I do see an air bubble at the hose connection so there could be a loose fitting

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a little more research and it seems like the pump is experiencing impeller cavitation. Seems as though this pumps design may not suit an AIO well. Going to try turning the flow down otherwise I’m going to throw the other pump back in

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back