Return pump help

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got my system filled and running last night, first time using a return pump and sump.

Man the return pump is loud! I chose to go ac and got a fluval sp4. Very strong and the noise is not from vibration just a hum of the motor. Is this normal? Just needs to break in? I have the pump almost 100% open with the gate valve.
If it doesnt subside I will buy another and use it as an emergency backup. Maybe go dc pump over ac if needed.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with that specific pump. Some return pumps are louder than others. There are quiet AC pumps, like Eheim. The most reliable are external AC pumps, like Blue Line / Iwaki / Pan World, but they are loud. DC pumps are supposedly quiet, but not as reliable.

Anyone have the Fluval SP4? Are they usually loud?

Karling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
two things I do to quite down pumps, yes they can be loud when you first start them if there is any air cavitating. unplug it a couple times to prime it.

1. use the rubber feet! if anything DO THIS
2. set it in the sump away from any of the walls and make sure your pipes are not touching anything.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
two things I do to quite down pumps, yes they can be loud when you first start them if there is any air cavitating. unplug it a couple times to prime it.

1. use the rubber feet! if anything DO THIS
2. set it in the sump away from any of the walls and make sure your pipes are not touching anything.

I'd like to add:

I have always used AC pumps, both internal and external. I set my return pump on a silicone pad to dampen vibration there, and also strongly suggest the use of about a foot of vinyl or silicone tubing between the pump and the hard (pvc) plumbing.

Also - how big is your tank? Unless it is very large, or there is a lot of head pressure that pump may be way more powerful than you need.

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to add:

I have always used AC pumps, both internal and external. I set my return pump on a silicone pad to dampen vibration there, and also strongly suggest the use of about a foot of vinyl or silicone tubing between the pump and the hard (pvc) plumbing.

Also - how big is your tank? Unless it is very large, or there is a lot of head pressure that pump may be way more powerful than you need.
Tank is a 90gallon with corner overflow. Sump is a bashsea 30x18, holds about 25 gallons with the levels I set for the 3 chambers. I have it setup as an Herbie eith the return up over the back.
I do have the pump on a silicone pad, not touching any walls. About 12-18 of black vinyl tubing connects it to 1 inch pvc that is supported through holes drilled into the wood stand.

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I pick the pump up and hold it thr noise level does not change. So its either just the hum ofnthebsctuwl motor or the vinyl tubing isnt dampening the vibrations enough.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the rest of your stuff running? I run Fluvals and other Askol block pumps. Yes, you can slightly hear them, but you will also be able to hear your flow pumps too if you are this sensitive. If you are looking for completely silent, then this is the wrong hobby. Let it run for a while. Everything gets quieter when it gets covered in some film (can take a few months) and breaks in... even the overflow.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you are doing all the tricks to quiet down the pump. Hopefully, after some break-in, the pump quiets down a bit.

I do think the specific pump (1800 gph) is way too much for a 90 gallon display. If you were starting from scratch, and you wanted a quiet submersible pump, I would point you towards an Eheim 1262...or maybe a Sicce Syncra silent.

Good luck.

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the rest of your stuff running? I run Fluvals and other Askol block pumps. Yes, you can slightly hear them, but you will also be able to hear your flow pumps too if you are this sensitive. If you are looking for completely silent, then this is the wrong hobby. Let it run for a while. Everything gets quieter when it gets covered in some film (can take a few months) and breaks in... even the overflow.
I have 2 powerheads running and only a faint wine typical of the gyre but very acceptable.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sicce has been a super quiet pump for me
I had a noisy supreme pump a while back and placed it on a blue filter pad - really quieted it down

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you are doing all the tricks to quiet down the pump. Hopefully, after some break-in, the pump quiets down a bit.

I do think the specific pump (1800 gph) is way too much for a 90 gallon display. If you were starting from scratch, and you wanted a quiet submersible pump, I would point you towards an Eheim 1262...or maybe a Sicce Syncra silent.

Good luck.
Yea I was worried about the flow but figured go big and dial back if needed. Didnt want to end up too low after head pressure and what not. Pump is about 4 feet below the top of the tank but there are a total of 5 90s, 3 unions, 1 gate valve, and the barn connection adapters. I also have a reducer that reduces from 1 inch to 3/4 about 6 inches down from where it enters the tank since the locline is 3/4

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience some tanks just can’t run ac pumps quietly, the same brand of pump can be claimed to be silent, but in my tank it’s loud...if you are doing everything right e.g not touching walls etc then I would go D.C. way quieter in my tank.
I have a feeling it is vibration but may be from the stand not the tank.

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience some tanks just can’t run ac pumps quietly, the same brand of pump can be claimed to be silent, but in my tank it’s loud...if you are doing everything right e.g not touching walls etc then I would go D.C. way quieter in my tank.
I have a feeling it is vibration but may be from the stand not the tank.
If that's the case would changing to a dc pump help? Do you ever throttle bsck a dc pump with a gate valve like ac or is it all through the controller?
Would make battery backup a lot easier and more reliable then an apc. I went ac because I thought dc had variations in flow that made it more difficult to fine tube an herbie is that not true?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that's the case would changing to a dc pump help? Do you ever throttle bsck a dc pump with a gate valve like ac or is it all through the controller?
Would make battery backup a lot easier and more reliable then an apc. I went ac because I thought dc had variations in flow that made it more difficult to fine tube an herbie is that not true?

mine is all through the controller, it’s a cheap jecod, the only one that would fit my small tank, I’m a bit of a noise freak, whilst it’s not silent it’s 95% there and I’m happy, I tried 4 ac pumps, they were all loud and unusable for me.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not normal. I have an sp4 also. If it wasnt for the water disturbance out of the returns I couldn't tell it was on. I ran mine internally for awhile & now externally. The base is not the best, but I haven't had any problems. I run it around 3/4 with a ball valve

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not normal. I have an sp4 also. If it wasnt for the water disturbance out of the returns I couldn't tell it was on. I ran mine internally for awhile & now externally. The base is not the best, but I haven't had any problems. I run it around 3/4 with a ball valve
Was it quiet from day 1?

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. I have tunze ac powerheads & this. Loudest thing is the bubble magnus skimmer
Maybe ill to makesure the air is all bleed out of the pump and if that doesn't work disconnected and put it in a bucket to see if it's the pump or vibrations in the stand then.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 48.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 48 53.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.0%

Back