Return pump question

epetrillo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up my first reef tank. It's a Red Sea reefer xl200. Got a Hydor steltz D return pump. The return tubing doesn't seem to fit the fitting that came with the pump. The fitting is stepped but the tubing that came with the red sea is very loose on the first step and too small to fit the next step. Is there another fitting I need to order?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be the wrong size or it could just be a tight fit, try heating the tube up in some hot water and seeing if that does the trick.

You can buy smaller connections, but that would also reduce the flow, so if you can't get it to fit, it might be better to just buying wider tubing to go over the connection.

OP
OP
epetrillo

epetrillo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy smaller connections, but that would also reduce the flow, so if you can't get it to fit, it might be better to just buying wider tubing to go over the connection.
Tubing that came with tank fits perfectly on tanks fitting but is not even close on pump fitting.

shivamerlin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tubing that came with tank fits perfectly on tanks fitting but is not even close on pump fitting.
I had the same issue with my XL200. My LFS helped me, all it took is to put the end of the hose in how water for a couple of minutes, this makes it flexible enough to fit over the return pump connector. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
epetrillo

epetrillo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS put a small section of tubing over the first step of the connector that was a tight fit. The tubing that came with the red sea fit over this tubing tightly. Wouldn't have thought of this solution but it seems to work fine.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back