Return pump question

  • Thread starter Thread starter Landon K
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Landon K

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 23, 2022
Messages
47
Reaction score
24
Location
KS
What state or country do you live in
Kansas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I'm running a Sicce 3.0 as my return (on a budget atm). It does around 700gph and my tank is a red sea xl 300 so I don't think I need that much turnover so I turned the pump down a bit via the dial on the front of the pump. Are there any negatives to turning these pumps down? Is it hard on the pumps? Thanks.
 
Hey guys, I'm running a Sicce 3.0 as my return (on a budget atm). It does around 700gph and my tank is a red sea xl 300 so I don't think I need that much turnover so I turned the pump down a bit via the dial on the front of the pump. Are there any negatives to turning these pumps down? Is it hard on the pumps? Thanks.
I use these pumps and they run well at reduce flow
 
Are there any negatives to turning these pumps down?
As long as you are turning over the display through the sump a couple times an hour, not really. Flow in the display usually comes from powerhead more than return pumps.
Is it hard on the pumps?
Not hard on the pump at all. It's the same as if the pump is pushing against more head pressure. It actually uses less electricity when valved down, believe it or not.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 55 34.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new