Return pump recommendation

Pennywise the Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have (finally) made up my mind to go with a Red Sea Reefer 170. The lure of a sump was just too much to ignore. I'm slowly putting together all necessary gear and am now looking at a return pump. Red Sea recommend 2000 lph but I have read that the Reefer can handle much more than this so I am looking for advice on flow and hopefully on a make/model of pump.

I don't want to be spending silly money, just a good value, quiet and reliable pump.

Thank you.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, what's the budget and what are you looking for in a pump?
I like a high turnover rate going through my sump, around 10x per hour, so I use constant speed mag drive pumps. I clean them once a year, and have never had a problem with them.

Now, I'm not into the 'control everything from apex' scene so I don't know much about pumps with controllers and what not.

OP
OP
Pennywise the Clown

Pennywise the Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an M1 for that same tank. Worked perfectly. Went with that pump 1 XR15pro and 2 mp10s controllable with the reeflink.
At the moment, a Vectra M1 and 2 MP10's are way above my budget unfortunately. I'm looking at getting 1 MP10 (saving hard) but the M1 is a bridge too far. Thanks for your input though.

OP
OP
Pennywise the Clown

Pennywise the Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, what's the budget and what are you looking for in a pump?
I like a high turnover rate going through my sump, around 10x per hour, so I use constant speed mag drive pumps. I clean them once a year, and have never had a problem with them.

Now, I'm not into the 'control everything from apex' scene so I don't know much about pumps with controllers and what not.
I would like to spend <£100 on a return pump initially, maybe upgrade it when it packs in. I'm not looking for anything special, just as long as it can do its job and return water the the display tank quietly and doesn't pack in after 6 months.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 28 18.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 104 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.2%
Back